• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New heating idea for a first time viv.

egermann04

Well I've been clicking through and trying to get an idea for a heating method for a viv and I liked all that I saw but wanted a way to make basically what I would call a substrate tray so when I want to clean it out I can just remove the tray and take it elsewhere to clean it while also acknowledging the fact that the tray has to be a very snug fit inside to make it impossible for a snake to get under/behind. My idea is to basically make a tray that has a square of plexi or glass over a hole I'd make on one side of the tray and underneath that have a second piece of plexi or glass with a uth or flex cable attached to it that would slide into grooves that are made into the lower panel. That way I would have the capability of removing and re-inserting the heating element during cleaning. My reasoning behind this is my viv is gonna be in a very tight corner in my bedroom and cleaning it in that corner would be way too big of a hassle and from what I'm reading about cleaning with a bleach solution wouldn't be possible in the room because my gf is allergic to bleach and would bother her during the night. I kinda did a quick sketch up of my idea hope it gives you a good idea (haven't quite got the hang of windows 7 paint). Tell me what you guys think and have any suggestion/improvements.

2e196pk.jpg

I'm a bit confused...sorry. What is attached? Is the UTH attached to the tray? I'm just curious, because I'm wondering if something like this would work for me.

Ok, I'm sorry I read it again...it makes perfect sense and sounds awesome. You'll have to send me instructions on how to build one.

Ok, I'm sorry I read it again...it makes perfect sense and sounds awesome. You'll have to send me instructions on how to build one.

Well just so you know it has to go in an existing vivarium. This is just a tray and you have to be VERY careful to make sure it's a snug fit so your snake can't get behind it or under. You'd basically make a tray with the height of the sides is up to you. For me they would be fairly low so the front can't be seen with the front door closed (it'll be covered up by the frame of the front glass when closed). The bottom would be made of 3 pieces which would be easiest for me because all I have to make the notches is a table saw. I'd lower the blade til it's height is about 1/2 inch and run the edges over it. One thing to make sure is to make sure the upper piece of plexi that is screwed down a bit bigger than the lower piece so the screws or whatever you decide to hold it down doesn't affect the lower piece or the grooves it goes in. I did a little sketch of just the bottom piece of how I would make it. One thing I'm a bit unsure of is ventilation requirements of some of the uth's. here's just a simple sketch i did. Any questions or recommendations are ALWAYS welcome.

14nlh6r.jpg

I've been wanting to use a wooden viv (which did have a heatbulb) for our leopard gecko, Blossom, but couldn't work out a way of using a heatmat safely without spaces for her mealworms to escape. I think I'll use your plan as a project, if you don't mind.

I've been wanting to use a wooden viv (which did have a heatbulb) for our leopard gecko, Blossom, but couldn't work out a way of using a heatmat safely without spaces for her mealworms to escape. I think I'll use your plan as a project, if you don't mind.

By all means do! I'm excited to see how it would turn out. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to actually get time to build it cause they're my dad's tools and I live about 50 miles away in another town. If you do build it send me pics and tell me how it turns out and how Blossom likes it.

I will do, but don't hold your breath.........I'm giving the job to my 18 year old to do!

Back