• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New here, and to corns!

ladyq1

Often lurking...
Hi, thought I'd stop in and introduce myself. My name is Beth and I'm 28 (for a little while longer). I live in Central IL, where I'm about to finish working on my Vet Tech degree, with hopes of working with rehabilitation, exotics, and wildlife.

My fiance and I have a small zoo here, but we love them all!
~5 cats, 2 bengal-x rescues (Stargazer and Mara), 2 maine coon x rescues (Sooty and Sophie), and a shorthair mix rescue (Forest)
~8 rats (my babies! Chortle, Schee and Gus are all pedigreed (Chortle has been shown), and Yakko, Wakko, Dot, Harry, and Ron are all rescued guys)
~1 mouse (a rescue from school as well, Asiago...her sisters Kasseri, Swissy, and Cheesy have passed on)
~1 leopard gecko (Ella, an adult adopted from craigslist)
~2 red tail boas (Nigel and Fialka, both approaching 30...I believe Fialka is a year older than me and Nigel is a year younger, both rescues)
~18 tarantulas (*=adults....*Flower and *Zaphod-G. Rosea RCF, Nyx-L. parahybana, Lawliet and Ryuzakki, A. metallica, Cian - H. lividum, *Beast - Haplo (sp?), Clotho- A. versicolor, Black Hole - A. geniculata, Corrundum - E. pulcherimaklassi, Aphrodite - C. elegans, Bitty- N. chromatus, Fuzzbucket - B. albopilosum, Aidan - B. boehmei, Bob - B. smithi, Branwen - G. pulchra, Digger and Mole - B. vagans)
~4 freshwater aquariums - endlers, danios, plecos, fiddlercrabs, barbs, etc.

As you may have notied in all that - no corn snakes...yet. Our boas are WAY up there in age, and I know I want to keep having snakes - I enjoy them so much! But I also would prefer to keep snakes a little smaller than our 2 are, preferably something docile, attractive, can generally be maintained on F/T mice instead of rats, don't need a giant custom made enclosure that can never be moved, etc....with a brief bit of searching I came across corn snakes...and with a tiny bit more I started seeing pictures.....and now I want them!!! :D

So I ordered and have read through corn snake books by Bartlett and Bartlet, Philip Purser, and the Comprehensive Corn Snake guide by Kathy and Bill Love, and started browing the web for information, pictures, etc, and found this forum! From my experience with tarantulas, I know forums are a great source for information, so I signed up!

I'm still trying to decide what variety I want to START with...since I'm already fairly sure I want several types, but I also know that I have room for ONE baby right now (MAYBE 2...but that would be pushing my space ALOT)...I'll have more space in the future though!

I love the silver and black anerys, though it seems like so many of them brown out alot, which is kinda sad - the super high contrast of the pale silver and black that some of the babies have is such a neat look! The charcoals are also nice, and theoretically have less yellow, so may brown out less, from what I've read...
I have seen some amazing pictures of lavenders out there! Really rich, bright purples...but it also seems like many of them tend towards greys at some point. Still gorgeous though!
I've seen one labeled as "moonstone" which was an anery lavendar - a very pale, silvery gray color, but a very attractive snake too! Haven't found many other pictures of those out there though.
Sunkissed lavender is GORGEOUS!! I think I need to get one of those...but not my first one, seems like its a more expensive one, I may want to wait a while for that one! :D
The Okeetees are a beautiful coloration too - I love all the bright colors, contrast, and markings that they have! They are very stunning...

I'm thinking of either an Okeetee or Anery for my first one (though I won't completely rule out lavender if I see one that really calls to me!), but I'm having a hard time deciding. I did read that Okeetees can be a little more nervous, and aren't good for first time snake owners...but having the big guys I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not for me....any opinions or feedback would be welcome though!

There is an expo (http://www.allanimalexpo.com/) that I'm going to in a couple weeks to pick up a bag of rat food, and maybe a tarantula...and I definitely am planning to look at the corns when I'm there and see if one of them catches my eye (I'm sure a ton will, LOL) I may have a new little friend to introduce on here after that if all goes well. I've already cleared a space for a tank (I have a 10 gallon that I need to get top locks for), and a bowl, undertank heater, and hiding space, so I think I'm in good shape to consider bringing a new friend home!

Anyways, enough rambling from me! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum, and to your newest addiction!
You are going to LOVE keeping corns!

Out of all the books you have gotten, the Love book is definately the best.

It is good to have another ratty lover here, I have 2 boys right now.
Beth

Welcome. Don't you love all the different corn morphs? I always enjoyed looking at babies vs adults photos becuase there can be such differences. If you haven't already stumbled upon this site, check it out.

http://iansvivarium.com/

Have fun, and let us know when and what you decide.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see I'm not the only person here with a T collection. Watch out, corns are pretty addictive also.

Hey im from chicago, i just picked up my snow corn two saturdays ago from the allanimalexpo in wheaton!! They didnt have much variety, just snows or normals, but maybe when you go there will be a bigger variety!! Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

It is good to have another ratty lover here, I have 2 boys right now.
It always amuses me just how many 'rat' people I know, who also enjoy snakes! I've known people outside of both who think the 2 are totally incompatible interests, but not so! :cheers:

Welcome. Don't you love all the different corn morphs? I always enjoyed looking at babies vs adults photos becuase there can be such differences. If you haven't already stumbled upon this site, check it out.
http://iansvivarium.com/
I actually have found that site - I love all the comparison pictures of the different varieties there - babies and adults, different patterns, undersides, etc! Of course, its making want MORE of them, rather than helping me narrow down which ones to get. HAHA!

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see I'm not the only person here with a T collection. Watch out, corns are pretty addictive also.
Heh, the warning may be too late...I've already read the books, signed up here, stared at picutres, looked up genetics for breeding (not sure that I'll want to do that, but figured it doesn't hurt to look)...have a LIST of ones I want...and I don't even have my first one yet! :eek:

Hey im from chicago, i just picked up my snow corn two saturdays ago from the allanimalexpo in wheaton!! They didnt have much variety, just snows or normals, but maybe when you go there will be a bigger variety!! Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
Hopefully they will - the website lists multiple vendors who should be there with corns, and one of them has a reasonable list of varieties, including Okeetee, Lavender, Anery A and B, etc. I also know there are a couple T vendors there....heh, I'm glad its so far away so I only manage to get there once a year, might be dangerous to my wallet otherwise! Even if they don't have a wide selection there, it will be nice to look around at what is there, just to get to look at more corns in general! And its the weekend before my birthday...so I figure I get to get myself a present! YAY!

It always amuses me just how many 'rat' people I know, who also enjoy snakes! I've known people outside of both who think the 2 are totally incompatible interests, but not so! :cheers:

I don't think so at all. I am not so much of a rat person as a mouse person, but I would love to have mice again. They are so CUTE. Rats are smarter & have more personality, but also need larger enclosures with more enrichment, so maybe I would be more into have rats if I had more SPACE.

Welcome, I have 3 rat boys and some T's. I tend to stay with the brachys. They are a little more my speed. I had an OBT and it scared the crap out of me. I am new to corns too and this forum is awesome, everyone is more than happy to help. I have learned a ton and now have acquired 5 corns, 1 red tail, 2 ball pythons, az mtn king and sand boa.
If your not too far from Indy we have a nice show next Sat.

Corns are fairly easy I think, especially if you've had snakes before. I think if you go with whatever is supposed to be easier the first time though (ie not the Okeetee), and have a good first experience then you might have more patience for a "trouble" snake in the furture.

Thought I'd update here - I got my first corn today!!! Little Anery girl from Kathy Love. I named her Zith. A few pictures on the thread about her!

I did change the half logs to those coconut shell hides (little ones, one entrance, I boiled then microwaved them to clean them before putting them in the cage), and she has the shipping container aspen in those and the tube along the back (which she immediately went into and hid, LOL!) I'll replace the paper with aspen once she settles in and I am sure I don't need to be monitoring fecals, etc. Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice! :D

Here is the link to the pictures of her!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97262

Hello and welcome. Our abbotts has been one of our best corns yet. She has a very laid back and mellow attitude. Good luck with your new addiction.

Back