• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Layout for Roo

JennyB

Roo is getting so big now! She's pushing almost 2 1/2 feet! Tomorrow I'm placing an order for bigger mice. She's eating three pinkies once a week now. I've got her in a 20L aquarium with a heat lamp during the day and an undercage heater at night. I've been using paper towels on the bottom, but I want to make her cage a little more natural though. I've read on here about the different substrates... I'm allergic to aspen, so that's out of the question. I'm not going to use Reptibark because of the splinters, but I was thinking about Eco Bedding, or Bed a Beast. That's like dirt, right? Doesn't that harbor germs? How does it do for the heating? Obviously the humidity is going to be higher... What percentage of humidity do they like? My little humidity reader thing broke, so I'm going to have to buy another. I'm also thinking about getting one of those cage toppers for her because I'm noticing that she climbs a lot. At the very least I'm going to get some driftwood so she can get closer to the heat lamp. How close is too close? Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I want her cage to be perfect.

Nobody?...:confused: I went out today and bought some coconut husk bedding. It's really soft and I tried "stabbing" myself in my arm with some of it to see if it would give me splinters and it's very bendable. Roo really likes it. As soon as I poured it in her cage, she went right under it. I also got her a branch to climb on and she's ecstatic. Now I've got to go order some mice and we'll be all set for a while. I priced the breeder tanks today. Hopefully within the next few months I'll be able to get one.

I'm sorry, can't help with the bedding. I use newspaper. But about the mice. Are you ordering bigger ones like fuzzies or hoppers? Why 3 pinkies?

I bought about 100 pinkies when I got her back in October, and I still have some left over (enough for four more feedings), so I'm just trying to get rid of them. I just ordered 50 fuzzies and 50 hoppers from the mouse factory.

Roo is getting so big now! She's pushing almost 2 1/2 feet! Tomorrow I'm placing an order for bigger mice. She's eating three pinkies once a week now. I've got her in a 20L aquarium with a heat lamp during the day and an undercage heater at night. I've been using paper towels on the bottom, but I want to make her cage a little more natural though. I've read on here about the different substrates... I'm allergic to aspen, so that's out of the question. I'm not going to use Reptibark because of the splinters, but I was thinking about Eco Bedding, or Bed a Beast. That's like dirt, right? Doesn't that harbor germs? How does it do for the heating? Obviously the humidity is going to be higher... What percentage of humidity do they like? My little humidity reader thing broke, so I'm going to have to buy another. I'm also thinking about getting one of those cage toppers for her because I'm noticing that she climbs a lot. At the very least I'm going to get some driftwood so she can get closer to the heat lamp. How close is too close? Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I want her cage to be perfect.

I cant help you with bedding, I only have used aspen, hopefully someone else can advise on that, anyway I doubt the snake is going to lay under the heat lamp. Snakes burrow and Ive always heard belly heat is the best way to heat....They arent animals who bask for warmth. Plus their nocturnal, they dont come out during the day, so what good is a lamp during day hours?

As far as cage toppers? Whats on the top now? I use a screen lid and clip it down. And you dont need humidity until someone is in blue, then you can pick up a plain spray bottle and spray the viv, covering half the top with a towel.

To make it simple, keep the heat mat, and get a thermostat. Once you hook that up itll regulate the heat on its own and you dont have to be shutting off the heat mat to turn the heat lamp on during the day....you dont need the heat lamp. Your doing more work then you need to be doing.

I just like to simulate the day/night change for her. She likes to lay on top of her warm basking spot after I turn the heat lamp off.

i found that using a lamp in my setup really dried things out, and i was misting wayy more often to keep humidity up.

Back