• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New marine FOWLR tank

Hypancistrus

Tara and I have attempted marine tanks in the past. In spite of my best efforts, none have succeeded. We've decided to try again, this time with a Fish Only w/ Liverock (FOWLR) tank that can eventually become a marine reef if we upgrade the lighting and find we are doing well with it. The liverock is a benefit because it reduces nitrates in the system, but it doesn't need a huge amount of light. It also makes a nice home for the fishes.

So here's a few photos of it. We set it up about two days ago and got the salinity right-- bought our liverock today.

Marine29.jpg

There's already some tentacles poking out of a crevice.

Tentacles2.jpg

See the red arrows? I'm thinking serpent star, maybe two.

Tentacles.jpg

We spent about $230 in liverock alone and got some really nice stuff. Here's a few of the aquacultured samples.

ACLR1.jpg

ACLR2.jpg

You can see one of our turbo snails in this pic.

ACLR3.jpg

Now the waiting begins. It'll be 2 or 3 weeks before we can add even hermit crabs. A month or more before fish. It's already killing Tara. :)

Those are some niiice pieces of live rock! Very cool. I really really want a FOWLR set up with a clown trigger some day.

Looks nice, the tentcles do look like a serpent star. I'm surprised the snails are doing well normally your supposed to wait a few weeks before adding snails or crabs and be careful with the turbos they eat a lot so you don't need many and you may have to feed them dry seaweed.

I have a 34 gallon red sea max tank with live rock, 2 percula clowns, a starry blenny, a wheeler's goby and a couple hermit crabs and snails. I need to get some more hermits and snails. I've been trying to add one turbo but for some reason they die as soon as I put them in and I've talked to other's with marine tanks and we can't figure out why.

What are the tank specs? What are you planning on putting in there for fish?

Also if you bought good live rock and sand the cycle should be shorter than a month. I've had tanks completely cycle in a week.

Good luck!

Well, tank specs... it's a standard 29 gallon. I've got two lights available. The one I am hooking up first with marine lighting is a 24" T5 light. That will give me 48 watts of light. I also have a doube strip light that can do another 40 watts of normal fluorescent bulbs. That one is not going to be available for another month, but I think the T5's will do for now. We'll really only need the extra light if we decide to go reef and really get into some corals. I absolutely adore frogspawn and hammer corals... so always a possibility. For now, Tara just wants some xenia.

I've got a 150 watt heater, some "live bacterial sand" that I picked so I wouldn't have to rinse... he he... and a total of 40 pounds of rock, 25 of which is live. We found a really good LFS very close to us that sells premixed water for $1 a gallon, heated and perfect, so that will be our water change water! Woot!! So easy-- I am psyched!

Back