• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Member and first snake!

dpmRail

Just got my first snake a couple days ago, not sure on the sex though so I named it Bailey, figured that would work either way. Came from a pet store and is looking a little bit skinny, but I fed it half a pinkie yesterday and it took all of half a second for it to attack and start eating so I'm pretty excited and optimistic about it being healthy. This site is really helpful, already found all kinds of info especially since I've never had a snake before. It likes to hang out under the plant so this was the best pic I could snap. Looks like it's striped most of the way down except for maybe a couple spots.

154720_1500853447508_1419350191_1178513_3244570_n.jpg

Welcome, this site is uber helpful! Most everyone is super helpful with any questions and btw, your corn is very cute! :)

Very very pretty snake! Welcome to the forum!!!

Yeah I've noticed the ones at my local Petco being extremely small too. I did ask a worker there around what age they were, and they said a month old! I'm like what the hell?!? They were so tiny, how could a small pinkie even fit in their mouth and in their little bodies! When I got mine from the breeder, grant it I picked the largest baby that was almost double the size of the others, the other babies were still a lot larger then the ones I saw at the pets store! And the babies the breeder had were a month old as well!

Anyways, congratulations on your new baby and I can't wait to see progression pictures!!!

Thanks everyone!

I didn't even know this guy was there until they opened the viv and picked up the one of the hides. This was by far the smallest corn they had probably half the size of the others, but once I saw the striped snow I couldn't pass it up!

And no kidding on the pinkies looking huge compared to it. When I cut it in half, I cut not quite longways, but a little bit diagonal I guess. Didn't have any problem getting it down and still had the lump 24 hours later, so good to go!

Thanks everyone!

I didn't even know this guy was there until they opened the viv and picked up the one of the hides. This was by far the smallest corn they had probably half the size of the others, but once I saw the striped snow I couldn't pass it up!

And no kidding on the pinkies looking huge compared to it. When I cut it in half, I cut not quite longways, but a little bit diagonal I guess. Didn't have any problem getting it down and still had the lump 24 hours later, so good to go!

Thats awesome! Im sure he's in way better hands! Now plump him up lol

Bad news, he didn't make it. Hadn't moved from when I left for work so was probably gone before I even left. It's definitely a big downer since he ate right away and seemed alright. Atleast I guess since I didn't have him that long or really even handle him yet I wasn't too attached. One thing I noticed when I picked him up, there's a dark spot on the bottom like he got burned, but I'm thinking it's from dying then sitting in the same spot, I'm assuming snake would be smart enough to move if it was too hot. There might be a slight hot spot in the viv, but it's the corner he always hung out in and I know the entire cool side is right about 73-75 so it could've moved if it wanted to.

Actually, they don't always move if they were to get burned... just like they aren't always going to attack a mouse or run away from a mouse if it is biting them... I don't understand it either... A UTH needs to be regulated no matter what though, without a stat the UTH get's over 120F which is very dangerous

The dark spot could be an organ or someone mentioned they get a "spot" after they die, i don't remember what it is from though, maybe someone else can help. I'd ask for a picture but you probly don't have the snake anymore

I'm sorry for your loss and this sounds bad but if it was a "defect" of the snake, better it be now then a month down the road, it sounds mean but it's hard losing something when you're attached. When picking one out, i would always pick the biggest and healthiest looking one. And make sure they are a good eater.

If you got a picture so you had some proof that it wasn't your doing, the breeder may give you another one since it ate, was doing fine, and was still inevitable. All depends on the breeder though... Again, i'm sorry for your loss

If you got a picture so you had some proof that it wasn't your doing, the breeder may give you another one since it ate, was doing fine, and was still inevitable. All depends on the breeder though... Again, i'm sorry for your loss

Agreed, maybe you will get a cheaper morph for free. However the breeder can say you should've not chose that one since it looked unhealthy. But wort a try :) If you still want an other snake and the breeder won't give you one for free choose one that's bigger and is active.

So sorry for your loss. I agree with Haarstad, better to happen now that you are not attached than later. I also agree that the UTH will be way too hot without a thermostat to regulate it.

I also lost a hatchling recently and was told that some just aren't ment for this world. Mine also had this dark spot, I believe it is their gall bladder or something like that. This is a normal occurence in a snake after death. Especially when they are light colored and almost transparent.

Petco has a 14 day money back guarantee and they will refund your money or give you a new snake but I believe you must take in the body. Hopefully you didn't already get rid of it.

Also don't take one from a pet store, get one from a breeder, much cheaper and if the breeder is any good also healthier snakes!

Yeah I don't have a picture. Another thing I noticed too is even though it took food down right away, it doesn't seem like it digested well, if at all. Since it was a snow, you could see dark spots and after it died, from the food lump to the tail was a darker color while from the lump to the head looked normal color.

You're right though about it happening now instead of down the road and pet store has a garuntee.

Agreed, maybe you will get a cheaper morph for free. However the breeder can say you should've not chose that one since it looked unhealthy. But wort a try :) If you still want an other snake and the breeder won't give you one for free choose one that's bigger and is active.

It was actually purchased from Petco so they will do a refund or replace it. Remember when you go the customer is always right! :)

haha okay, i'm not familiar with USA based pet shops.

At basically any store, I could buy a sandwich, eat half of it, say it wasn't good and either get my money back or exchange it.

Return policies around here cover everything and that is one good thing about all of these big stores and even small store do the same thing just to keep people coming, but it works

I would just go into the store and tell them what happened, then pick out the best, strongest looking one

Back from the store, lets try this again with a presumably healthy and hearty looking snake. Probably gonna wait just a little longer to name it...

76648_1502961380205_1419350191_1183525_3068880_n.jpg

Back