• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Member!

kingkck1

Corn Snake Owner
Hey guys I just got Rosco last saturday at an Reptile expo and well I wanted to get something there and wasn't sure what to get so my friend told me to get him and of course snakes USE to be one of my biggest fears until I got Rosco! I am really new to snakes as this being my first snake ever and I am actually thinking about getting another one at the next expo just cause they are soo freaking cool. Heres a pic of him and I'm pretty sure that he is just a normal corn but if not tell me please!
rosco.jpg

Welcome. I don't know enough to tell you if Rosco is a normal or some other morph. I'll let the more knowledgeable people answer that question. He is a cute snake!

Welcome & congrats on your new snake!
The picture is kind of dark, but he does look like a normal.
A few books that are great resources for learning more about Corns:

"Cornsnakes: A Comprehensive Owner's Guide" by Kathy & Bill Love
"Cornsnakes in Cpativity" by Don Soderberg

Both authors are very well respected Cornsnake breeders & you will see them on here from time to time.

Welcome, King. I am new, too. To here and to snakes. We have a 2 year old Creamsicle Cornsnake we adopted/rescued on 5/15 and a Upper Keys Rosy Rat (Corn Snake, too) adopted/rescued (both from Craigslist) a week ago on 6/4. The Creamsicle is named Flame and he is my almost 9 year old daughter's. The Keys is named Ember and he is mine (all mine, bwahahahahaha!). I am still learning all the morphs, but if Buzzard says Rosco is a normal, I would trust that! :) He is a beauty, that is for sure! :) I have Bill & Kathy Love's book on order but using the expert advice on here in the mean time. If you have a question just do a search and tons of advice comes up. WELCOME! :)

Thanks EmbersMom those snakes all sound cool and that was nice of to adopt/rescue them! I've seen Buzzard in a couple of different threads and looked on his website and I trust him haha. But thank you he is pretty cool

Oh, I should have posted pictures......you are new, too! :) I was not familiar with a normal and liked seeing Rosco's pic. Here is Flame, my daughter's Creamsicle:

picture.php

And here is Ember, the Upper Keys Corn, maybe more specifically a Boot Keys Rosy Rat.

picture.php

Thanks! He is really, really cool. I named him before I got a really good look at him, but he does look like glowing embers when a fire cools. Nanci has a pair; very very similar if not identical that I think she is planning on breeding! :) His underside is not checked - there is a tiny bit of light checking under his head, but the rest of him looks like this, probably way different from your normal's. Actually reminds me of cooked salmon my hubby makes on the grill:

picture.php

Here is his head:

picture.php

Ember, I am learning, is strong and agile, very curious, like to be on the move when he is out of his viv. He gets on the move out of my hands and before I know it is supporting half of his body before I can get a hold of him! Strong! But not constricting strong, at least he has not so far tried to constrict around me. His foster mom called him a hair seeker, and he does like to find my hair. He was on loan to the Santa Fe Children's Museum and did fine with being handled but did not do good on display - he hid all the time and got stressed from all the glass tapping - you know even with signs the kids don't listen and tap on the glass and some parents don't give a hoot what their kids do! :( He is a hider and hid the first 4 days we had him, and has only been out the last 2 at night to regulate body temp as he is digesting his Friday nite meal. So being a natural hider, I can see him not being the best for being "on display". But I think he is going to make an excellent pet. Our Creamsicle is such a calm, docile, content boy. He is happy to wrap around your arm or neck and "hang" while you watch TV or are on the computer. Or we can put him in a laundry basket and he will go in and out of the holes for 20-30 minutes before he gets bored and starts to try to go elsewhere (same with Ember!). Try that with Rosco - it's FUN! :)

See thats what he seems to do to! He can just constrict around my hand and chill while I'm on the computer or watching tv. I am not exactly sure but Im pretty sure he is 2-3 months old. I forgot to ask the breeder when I got him :\ I actually didn't even know it was a male till I got it sexed.

Awwww, you are lucky to have him so tiny. You will raise him up so tame and docile. He will be the perfect pet.

Ya I like to have him out of his cage a lot so he will be soo tame and be use to being held so much that other people will be able to hold him to. But is

Yes! My daughter started asking for a snake for her birthday about 3-4 months ago. Her 9th birthday is next month. On May 14th I decided to search Craigslist just for fun for corn snakes. My husband works at our local zoo, and the herpetologist said to get her a corn snake because of their docile nature and reluctance to bite. And when I searched Flame came up. Him, his 29 long glass viv, water bowl, heat lamp, screen top & screen clips for a "rehoming fee" (because you are not supposed to "sell" pets on Craigslist, but you can charge a "rehoming" fee) of $100. He was hand raised from Rosco's size by the same owner, so he was a proven docile, calm snake. And I loved his colors, and so did my daughter. So, we felt we should snatch him up. So we did. She just got her birthday present 2 months early! :) Flame has been held by the neighbor kids and other visitors without incident. We just tell people not to come at him head first, and no really fast, sudden moves.

Enjoying Flame so much prompted me to look for Ember - and I found him, his 29 long viv rock hide, rock, water bowl, screen top, clips, and heat lamp on Craigslist for $60. I had to drive to Santa Fe (50 minutes) to pick him up, but he was worth it! :) We have to invest in the digital thermometers, humidity monitors (forget the names) and decide if we need under-tank heaters and rheostats (or however you spell it), but then we should be good. This weekend I made homemade hides. Here's a pick of one. It was really fun. Ember came with one, Flame came with none. So I made Flame 2 and Ember one more. Optimally, they should have a hide in both the warm and cool zones of their viv. This one is for Flame (the smaller of the 2). It is the size of a banana bread loaf pan. I made 3 of them for about $15 of supplies from Walmart, compared to 3 rock hides from pet stores - YIKES:

picture.php

Haha your daughter is lucky to get her bday present that early! And so after you got your daughter one you had to get yourself one didn't you? But those hides are really sick? How did you get them to look like a real rock?

Back