• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New members

unipt

Intergalactic Voyage
Hey everyone, I've been waiting to buy a corn snake for a while now, didn't because I had no real knowledge of how to take proper care of a snake. Long story short a friend of a friend, heard me talking about corn snakes and asked me if I could take care of his while he having a trip, I obviously said yes.

Alright now, I've searched for specific corn snake sites and stumble on this one, which seems great so far, been reading it for the past couple of days and learned a lot.

As you may guess, I have a load of questions:

First one, the guy said she has about 2 years, but she seems a bit small and thin to me. Again I don't know much so I'm asking for some guidance, she's about 23 inches, is that about the right size for that age?

Second, he was feeding her the ones after pinkies about every 15 days(1 every 15 days), I have a feeling a bit more sometimes. I'm now feeding her every 5 days with two of those.

I guess she isn't used to get much attention. The first days she was always hiding, when I tried to reach her or touch her she would always run away and hide. I had a lot of patience and just like hang around with my hands inside the viv every day, a few days later she wouldn't try to run anymore, then I grabbed her and she was pretty curious about me. After I've fed her for the first time in my house she became a lot of comfortable around me, and no longer has problems with me touching her or her viv. Yesterday before she eat she was on my hands and drinking water from the bowl, that was pretty cool.

Anyway, yeah btw she didn't had a name so I named her Loki, here she is:

WD9ss.png

uc2qf.png

FmZQd.jpg

23 inches at two years. I'm no expert and every snake is different but that does sound a little small to me. And in the pics I also agree that she looks a little on the skinny side. Especially on that first pic.

If she's only that long, then having a fuzzy / peach fuzzy is probably about the right size for her, but I'd definately say she needs feeding more than every 15 days. I'd guess the guy got his advice from deathco.

Honestly she probably needs her feeding upped to at least once every 7 days. She's clearly not growing as intended, she still looks like a hatchling.

Yeah that's what I suspected, since she's here I've fed here two times, 5 days apart, with two Fuzzies each time.

I'd be careful feeding her two fuzzies. Any way you can get a weight? She looks a little thin. But just feed her every five days until she is on weanlings to adults, one prey item one to one and a half times her diameter at her widest part. She'll catch up.

I think you run a major chance of a regurge by feeding two prey items. I only feed double pinks, and then pretty much never doubles again, except for my big kingsnake that eats multiple adult mice. I might feed a momma cornsnake two hoppers or something after laying.

Welcome :) Loki is an awesome name (Thats the snake in my Avatars name <3 )
I would defintally put her on hoppers, or weanling mice. Snow corns are one of my favs. When I finally convinced my kids to let me get a snake petsmarts snows where sick at the vet. So I had to go to petland, where I got my Loki, not I am up to 12 :) LOL

Back