• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New owner, day 3, won't leave hide...worried for nothing?

Nouky

Hello everyone, I did search forms so I hope I am posting a common question.

I am a new owner of a year old corn, Corn-Dog is her name. The place I bought her from tells me to leave her alone for a week to get use to the new home/location. I haven't seen her come out of her hide at all, other then her head poking out, which shoots back in as soon as I walk by. The water dish looks to be untouched and I don't see any of the aspen shaving disturbed at all so I don't think she has left hide at all - is this normal? do I need to worry about dehydration at all? how long does it take for them to get comfortable before I should begin to worry about the setup?

setup is very simple - hide, water dish, UTH, fake plant stuck to side, and aspen bedding.

i just want to make sure she is ok, and can't wait to hold her.

Welcome to the corn snake addiction. I am new to the world of corn snakes as well. From what I have seen and read, this is fairly normal. Corn snakes are more nocturnal and move around and hunt at night. I'm sure she is roaming and exploring her viv as well as drinking water. Even if you don't think she is drinking water you should change her water everyday. No one likes stagnant water. And again welcome.

Sounds perfectly normal. She may be moving around at night when you're not watching. I recommend adding some fake leaves for coverage around her tank. You can also cut toilet paper tubes in half and add those around the tank. The more places she has to hide, the more comfortable she'll be. It will encourage her to explore a little bit more because she'll be able to feel like she's hiding under them.

Agree with everyone, corns do like to hide (except my Gremlin, he believes he's invisible so he doesn't need hides lol). Just give her some more hides/plants and time to settle in, soon, some night you will see her embarking on her own adventure.

thanks for the info guys, I will add some more hiding places right away and let you know how it goes.

Success, I added a toilet paper tube as recommended and she was out and about last night. Guess I worried for nothing. Also noticed she has a tunnel now in the aspen bedding that wasn't there before. Thank again for the advice

Yes, they love to burrow tunnels under the aspen, it is funny to watch them move through it because just the aspen is moving, you can't see the snake underneath!

i haven't seen that yet, can't wait! she likes to stick to the vines near the top now, which is good because the kids can watch her easier.

Back