• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New owner with questions about shedding!

scone

Hello!
I have had my pet corn snake for about a month now and I was wondering if anyone could advise me based on her size when she would be expected to shed. I thought she was going to shed a week or so ago because she looked duller to me so i put a humid hide with sphagnum moss in her cage but she still has not gone blue and is eating normally. The last time i measured her she was about 19' long and I called the store to ask them her age and they told me about 10 months old. Should she have shed by now or is this normal??

Little Plissken is currently ~14 inches. I've owned him for coming up on two months now, and he hasn't shed since right after I brought him home. I've been expecting a shed lately, dull colors and he refused his first meal in over a month last night. But alas, still no shed. Moral of the story is, it could be soon or a long time, no one really knows except the snake itself.

I would say it's nothing to be concerned over. Some shed quickly, others not so quickly. My girl starts getting duller but doesn't go "blue" until usually a week or so after I notice her colors starting to dull. Others I've seen go blue within a few days after they dull. It all depends on the snake really. Also, most usually do, but not ALL snakes will refuse a meal during their shed cycle.

19 feet long??? Just kidding, it reminded me of the scene in "This Is Spinal Tap" where they draw the plans for the Stonehenge scenery but put it in " (inches) instead of ' (feet) so the thing came out about 2 feet tall. Hilarious! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I'd say no worries with your snake. Sometimes they fool you with the going grey, and change their minds and decide this week's wardrobe is still wearable. Give it another couple weeks and see what happens.

Good luck and welcome!

19 feet long??? Just kidding, it reminded me of the scene in "This Is Spinal Tap" where they draw the plans for the Stonehenge scenery but put it in " (inches) instead of ' (feet) so the thing came out about 2 feet tall. Hilarious! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I'd say no worries with your snake. Sometimes they fool you with the going grey, and change their minds and decide this week's wardrobe is still wearable. Give it another couple weeks and see what happens.

Good luck and welcome!

Haha ill have to look the movie up. Thank you everyone for all the responses I will just have to wait patiently until she finally sheds! I check her eyes each day to see if they are blue so it has to be one of these days :D

Back