• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New snake, behavior questions

Billinms

I'm a first time owner, and was wondering about his behavior...
1. He very rarely climbs. I have a fake limb for him, but he doesn't seem very interested. Is this normal, is there anything I can do to make it more attractive to him?
2. I've had him about a month, feeding him once a week. When should I expect him to shed? Is there anything I need to do to make his shed easier?

I keep his habitat at 80 degrees and he's very active when I hold him and feed him.

It is normal for them to not climb a lot or for you to not see them, they often are out and about at night when most sleep, i thought mine never left its hidebox untill i have caught it a few times when i come home late. If he is a hatchling they normally shed about once a month, somtimes more, somtimes less. Not saying you do but just a tip, do not hold withen 2 days after feeding.:)

Go to a craft shop and but some fake leaves and such. Put use paper towel rolls in there, cut to ?? size. Give him more "cover" with help him feel more secure to come out. If it a hatchling it should shed about once a month. And try to keep the humidity to about 40-50%. His temperatures should be 70-75 degrees on the cool side and 80-85 degrees on the warm side.
Here's a few links to help out.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Good Luck :cheers:

Billinms said:
I'm a first time owner, and was wondering about his behavior...
1. He very rarely climbs. I have a fake limb for him, but he doesn't seem very interested. Is this normal, is there anything I can do to make it more attractive to him?
2. I've had him about a month, feeding him once a week. When should I expect him to shed? Is there anything I need to do to make his shed easier?

I keep his habitat at 80 degrees and he's very active when I hold him and feed him.

First off, congrats on your new addiction... I mean addition!

#1. My corn used his fake branches for about a week when I introduced him to his new viv. Now he never uses them. But I worked with two corns in a more aboreal setting at a zoo, and they would constantly climb on the fake branches. It could be a personal perference for each snake or perhaps he's just not comfortable being that exposed yet. Either way, I think the branches make the viv look nice, used or not.

#2. I feed my hatchling who is 3 months old about every 5 days. I've seen people recommend feeding hatchlings every 5-7 days, so I suppose that's up to you. If it's not a hatchling, every 7 days, in my opinion, should be fine.

Snake's shed as they grow. If you feed more aggressively, expect a more often shed. Once a month sounds about right, give or take.

To help shedding, you need to increase (or keep constant) a level of humidity about 50-60%. This is what has worked best for me. There are a number of ways to help keep a constant level of humidity, either misting the viv lightly while he's opaque, using a damp towel briefly in the viv, moist moss, water bowl on the hot side, etc. Make sure the substrate is never too wet because that can cause scale problems.

Again, these are just my opinions and what has worked best for me.

Happy herping!
Amy

I find that my young corns are not very active in their tanks even when I have lots of hides, its not until they get a little older that they become active. I have a corn thats over a year now and is extremely active but never came out when it was a hatchling. I think it may also have to do with the personality of the snake, some maybe shyer than others

I feed feed my hatchlings every 5-7 days so I agree with Amystl on that one.

Shedding it really depends on your snake I have ones that shed every month and others that shed every 6 weeks. your probally going to shed soon

good luck

Back