• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake behaviour

ssssnake_lover

Hi all i have had my Miami Cornsnake since thursday and have not picked him up yet as i am leaving it till sunday so he has had time to settle in.

When i first got him he was exploring for a good few hours and then went into hiding.

This is his home

31-08-06_1659.jpg

I thought he would hide under his log but there is tiny gaps under it and i can see under it so i was looking on friday bit there was no sign.Anyway later in the day i went to change his water and he was curled up under his big ceramic water bowl :eek1:

Now everytime i go to change his water he is under that.

I thought maybe it was because he was hot but i have turned my heatmat off as i am awaiting my delivery on a thermostat (i did not want the heat mat to be too hot for him).

So basically he is always under his water bowl and when i move it he sits looks at me and his little heart seems to start beating he slides under his log and then when the water bowls back down he must crawl under that.

I have ordered some new hiding places but i was just wondering does his home look ok and am i just worrying to much.

Hpe you guys and girls don't think i am pathetic it's just as he is my first Snake i am worrying about every little thing.

Thanks all

Jamie

have you got a digital thermometer? maplins do the in/out ones with probe for aroud £15

See the pet shop bloke didn't tell me i needed one and just sold me a heat mat.

So this morning i ordered a digital thermometer which has 2 screens so you can constantly see what the temperature is inside andoutside and i ordered a thermostat and some more caves and hide holes for him.

When someone told me you need a thermostat or it could get too hot i panicked that i might have burned my Miami Cornsnake but surely it would not have hurt him through the plastic would it :cry:

for now you could set the viv up off of the heatmat by using some blocks of wood or similar so there is a big enough gap so the viv only gets gentle warmth?
You are certainly not being at all pathetic, you had bad advice from the shop, you found a good place to get better advice (here) and you're trying to get your snake's needs met asap :cheers:

There is a slight gap under there which is only a few millimeters but i don't think it touches the bottom.I can't see it being too hot as my dad has had his for a few months now and the pet shop owner didn't tell him about a thermostat either and he has the same heat mat as me.

My miami has sat looking at me today for ages under his log and then he has been moving around so he seems ok:)

What type of chips are you using in his bedding? I know some of my friends have told me that cedar can cause respiratory problems and even occasionally pine. Also you probably want to put a fake plant in the cage as well. It'll provide some nice shade and some good hiding spots on the log for him.

I am not sure what the bedding is as it was in a clear bag from the pet shop looks kinda like big wood chippings.Wha's the best to buy as i am going to order some more.

And thanks for the advice i will get a plant and some stuff in there.

He seems ok:)

Is that good and i got to order some more so what would you all recommend.

I have been working nights the last 4 nights and my Miami Cornsnakes been in most of the day and i am off tonight and it's great he's everywhere over the log in his water bowl:)

the standard 'chipping' bedding here is beech, so I'd hazard a guess and say it's most likely to be beech chippings if it was provided by the reptile shop

The substrate looks like the standard wood chips that my reptile shop sells. As long as they don't smell of pine (would indicate cedar or another resinous wood, which can harm snakes), then you'll be fine.

Aspen is just about perfect for burrowing because it is light and meshes together so the tunnels hold their shape. My snakes seemed to like it so much better than what I used to use (Eco-Earth) that I never switched back, and I don't intend to.

Back