• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new snake owner, a few n00b questions

giraffe42

Got two young snakies at the reptile show in Hamburg, PA just this weekend.
Also purchased this cage: http://boamaster.com/EnlargedCage.asp?itemid=25
and aspen shavings. Now just need to get some heat tape. From what I have been reading flexwatt coupled with a dimmer or a thermostat is the way to go.
For the cage that I bought what width heat tape would you suggest?
I am planning to have a strip along the back of the cage for warm area and the front will be cool down area. I think I will go with just a dimmer as I have a temp gun as well as a probe to monitor temperatures with.

Please let me know what I may be missing (i will get a water bowl) in my new setup. I will post pictures when I get home today. :dancer:

i forgot to mention about the hides in my original post. i have a pretty large hollow log that is big enough inside for both of them and they love it. they stay in there all day and come out at night. i also have a branch and two pieces of driftwood for them to climb on. the female uses it to get out of the tank when and climb onto my arm. the male is younger so he is still on the shy side so he wont go on my arm as readily.
another noob question: how much bedding shouls i use? right now i have about an inch and thats plenty for them to dig into it. and my question about the heat tape still stands.

The snakes are probably both in that hide because they are competing for the same space. This may stress them out. Do a search on cohabitation and read about it. There are varying opinions, but the general consensus is that snakes should not be living together. I am not saying this to annoy you,but to help you out. Thanks for your time.

The snakes are probably both in that hide because they are competing for the same space. This may stress them out. Do a search on cohabitation and read about it. There are varying opinions, but the general consensus is that snakes should not be living together. I am not saying this to annoy you,but to help you out. Thanks for your time.

No, THANK YOU for YOUR TIME! I effin knew it! The damn breeder is a liar. I specifically asked them if i can have both snakes in the same terrarium referring to my knowledge on bearded dragons! I was actually just looking at just the female first but they let me know that they won't let go of it without the male. So now my problem is that I really do not have any more space for another tank! I have a chinchilla cage, a 4x2 beardie terrarium and a small tank for feeding in a 12x18 bedroom!

The female is a few months older than the male and is a couple (if that much) inches longer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me pick out the right width heat tape for the tank that I have. I want to order it as soon as possible so I can get it in before I have to feed them the 1st time.

oh yikes, they're male and female? Poor girl will breed too young, it's not healthy.
And size difference can be a problem too, most people who do co-hab say the snakes should be the same sex and size, and even then, most people say not to co-hab at all. Sorry you went to a misinformed breeder!

Re-homing might be a good option for one of them, or get a sterilite bin for one of them. I'm using a sterlite for my spotted python (temporary until I get some nice vivs built, I got him a little last minute) but I really like it! It's light, easy to clean, and cheap. Just drill some air holes, get a luggage strap to hold it shut, and you're good.

That cage kind of looks like you could put a divider in it. This would be a good way to seperate them at least for the time being...

That cage kind of looks like you could put a divider in it. This would be a good way to seperate them at least for the time being...

I thought about that, will that viv/2 be big enough for each one individually?

Please do tell more about breeding too early.

I ask all of you again, please let me know what width heat tape i need!!

Back