• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake owner..help!

NeMeZiZ

Hi I just bought a baby albino cornsnake. I love this little guy he is awsome, but unfortunatly we are still getting used to each other. I am not sure how to aclimate myself to him and him to me. When I hold him I fear that he will strike me and I don't fear the pain because he is so small but I fear hurting him by my recoil. His head is no bigger than my pinkey finger. Infact I just moved him to fuzzies for food, took him 30min just to get his first one down. I just want to be comfortable holding him and him be comfortable with me, any suggestions anyone? I bought him about...3 or 4 months ago. I have tried holding him and when I do he usually turns around and looks at my fingers like hrmmm lunch? and then I panick and set him down. I just don't want to hurt him. I thought about using gloves at first but am not sure if this is good or bad. Im not a wuss as I said I just don't want to hurt him. I have been using the Crystal Springs water in 5Gl. jugs that I got from Kroger for 4$. He seems to like it. He is spoiled He has a 40 GL terrerium, A big vine he loves to lay on at night, 2 logs to hide under, a Big ceramic heater and a pad heater that is connected to the back of the tank. I use the repta-bark for bedding. And the humidity is usually between 45% and 60% Temp is about 80 during the day and 72 at night. How does all this sound and any help anyone can offer I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Rich :shrugs:

Hi Rich, sounds like you're doing fine. If I have a snake that's a little jumpy, I present the back of my hand to it (like when you meet a new dog) and let the snake sniff your hand before picking it up. Then when you do pick it up, do it in a gentle but decisive move. It's good to be concerned about hurting your snake, but they're pretty tough. Just be gentle but deffinate.

Make sure you give him a few days to settle in and get used to his new surroundings.

From what I've read I'd suggest trying to avoid approaching him from above when you reach in to pick him up as snakes can perceive that as a threat (birds of prey, etc attack from the air).

Also, once the little one has settled in handle frequently, for short intervals giving yourselves both a chance to get used to each other. If you're nervous about him getting away from you, you could try holding him over a box as you handle him so that you can be confident he can't squirm free and head off in to the horizon.

I'm have no direct experience myself so I may be missing important things, but I'm sure some of the experts round here will add to what I've come up with :)

Good luck with your new snake, I'm sure you're going to get along fine :)

StubbyUK

something else I was wondering Taz just kinda slinks up to his food and opens up and swallows. He doesn't constrict, he doesn't stalk, he doesn't even strike, I have never seen him strike at anything at all. LOL He is just so nonchalant. Is this normal? Also what is a normal shed schedule? His first shed was one solid pice of skin whereas his last one was pices here and there. once again thank you to anyone who can offer me help with taz i just love him/her not sure.

Hi

Like everyone said earlier, it sounds like the husbandry is good. As far as shed coming off in pieces though, that sounds like a humidity problem. Next time you notice him going into a shed cycle, try misting the viv at least once a day, or putting a nice moist hide in for him to use. (some type of container filled with moist spaghnum moss, or even paper towels works) You can even put him into a rubbermaid or something like that with some damp towels. My young snakes usually shed once a month, sometimes maybe 5 weeks. It all depends on how fast they are growing. The older the get the longer time in between sheds.

As far as not striking or constricting. Alot of the snakes I have don't strike or constrict, especially the little ones. Sometimes when they get older and more secure, they will hit hard and constrict like they are actually killing something. There is nothing to worry about.

Just relax and enjoy your new snake...you will both get used to each other in no time....:)

Take care and have a SUPER day!!!

Handling with gloves until you are comfortable is no problem at all. A lot of people on here have done that. I think you'll find it rare that one will bite once you're holding it. Even my psycho snake hatchling won't bite once I've got a hold of her, only when I'm trying to get her out. She'll thrash and musk, but never bite.

NeMeZiZ said:
Hi I just bought a baby albino cornsnake. I love this little guy he is awsome, but unfortunatly we are still getting used to each other. I am not sure how to aclimate myself to him and him to me. When I hold him I fear that he will strike me and I don't fear the pain because he is so small but I fear hurting him by my recoil. His head is no bigger than my pinkey finger. Infact I just moved him to fuzzies for food, took him 30min just to get his first one down. I just want to be comfortable holding him and him be comfortable with me, any suggestions anyone? I bought him about...3 or 4 months ago. I have tried holding him and when I do he usually turns around and looks at my fingers like hrmmm lunch? and then I panick and set him down. I just don't want to hurt him. I thought about using gloves at first but am not sure if this is good or bad. Im not a wuss as I said I just don't want to hurt him. I have been using the Crystal Springs water in 5Gl. jugs that I got from Kroger for 4$. He seems to like it. He is spoiled He has a 40 GL terrerium, A big vine he loves to lay on at night, 2 logs to hide under, a Big ceramic heater and a pad heater that is connected to the back of the tank. I use the repta-bark for bedding. And the humidity is usually between 45% and 60% Temp is about 80 during the day and 72 at night. How does all this sound and any help anyone can offer I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Rich :shrugs:

lol not to be rude but i think you are being a wuss and not admiting it. Like megF said they rarely bite when in your hands. Even if it does bite it wont hurt. If you put the snake back when you get scared that it is going to bite you then you are just teaching it that getting into strike position is going to get you to leave it alone and put it back in its cage. Snakes can sense when you are scared so if you relax so will it. Also if you still want to wear gloves you could.

Im not being a wuss, I live in Tennessee, i've seen and delt with plenty of snakes in and around here. Im a big guy, i've been an electrician for a while so my hands are kinda callused and as i have said before I just fear hurting him is all. He's just so little i'm afraid of snapping him or crushing him. Anyway I have gotten alot of good information from everyone on here and from Kathy Love so thank you too all also if I have anything else I will let you know if i need more help, once again thank you to all for helping me.

Rich

Back