• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake Owner here

Stock350

Modern Day Cowboy
Hello, all.

My name is Wayne and I recently bought a baby Butter Corn snake over this weekend. My buddy works at a reptile store, so he educated me quite a bit before the purchase. I have never held a snake before, and it was quite amazing. She has been feeding fine, she's a tad nervous still and a bit skittish. But Im sure with more handling, all of that will go away.

Quick question. Besides, pinkies and fuzzies, what other prey can Corns feed on? I heard goldfish in a small dish of water and small birds.

Thank you, will be looking forward to meeting all of you and I love the site and my Snake already. I named her Demeter, Goddess of the Corn, the Earth and the Harvest.

She loves Alice Cooper too. :)

Wayne
US. Army
Fort Riley

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!!!

Don't feed goldfish. Stick with pinkys until she is old enough to move up.

Stock350 said:
Quick question. Besides, pinkies and fuzzies, what other prey can Corns feed on? I heard goldfish in a small dish of water and small birds.

Howdy wayne...

Mice, rats, small lizards, quail chicks, baby chickens, hamsters...one CS member was well known (I.e. infamous) for feeding his corns chicken necks at one time...Don't know about goldfish, altho watching garter snakes eat minnows and small shiners is interesting ;)...my corns and black rats get quail as a treat...

tasteslikechicken002.jpg

tasteslikechicken003.jpg

Where do I get some of these different types of prey?

Thank you so much for the addition information on what foods corns can eat. Where would I get some of these different types of foods? I assume the pet stores for small lizards and the like, but what about the quail?

Try Rodent Pro. They have a nice selection.
But until she gets up to, say, adult mice meals, I would stick to one type of food.
Sometimes if you switch food products, they don't go back. You can use a different product as a treat, when she's ready.

Back