• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake - What Kind?

tbj66

Too-Tall
Not sure what type of snake I have....pretty big

Attachments

• Cobb 1.jpg
    Cobb 1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Cobb 2.jpg
    Cobb 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Cobb 3.jpg
    Cobb 3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183
tbj66 said:
Not sure what type of snake I have....pretty big
Hmm, you must have had some idea since you listed it in your signature :rolleyes:
You hit it on the head! Normal.

Oh, and you look young for your age :grin01:

That is my second of 5 children......Derek 13. I thought it was normal...not sure about all the other Het Hypo words I often see. what does 1.0 and 3.1 or 0.1 mean?

tbj66 said:
That is my second of 5 children......Derek 13. I thought it was normal...not sure about all the other Het Hypo words I often see. what does 1.0 and 3.1 or 0.1 mean?
Yeah, I knew that wasn't you, nice looking boy. Hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way, it was "tongue and cheek" intended. The numbers refer to sex of the animal IE: 1.0 = 1 male, 0.1= 1 female, 0.0.1= 1 of undertimend sex. On a side note, that snake has an awful lot of yellow in it. I once had a similar looking one that was a cross between a corn and a yellow rat. I'm not suggesting that yours is a hybrid, just sharing some info for what it's worth.
Welcome to the forums :cheers:

Its all good. I wish I still looked that young! It could be...pretty large. It is very gentle and has yet to even strike at anybody after 5 months. Do you keep any of your corns in the same cage?

Very pretty normal!

I don't think you can know the hets unless you were told by the snake's breeder or you can test it out by breeding your snake. But hets generally mean it's a recessive trait, therefore it doesn't show up in the snake.

No... not everyone keeps them separately...

keeping them separately is more an American habit... in Europe it's a little different!

What a beauty! I think adult snakes are so much easier for kids to deal with than babies. Gorgeous head.

"Hets" means hidden genes that the snake is carrying for that trait- you can't see it, but if that gene gets paired up with another from the mate, then the offpring will look like that. So you can have a normal corn, and depending on what his parents were- he can be carrying all kinds of wonderful hidden genes.

"Hypo" is short for hypomelanistic- meaning the melanin, or black pigment of the scales, has been reduced but not completely eliminated. "Amel" is short for amelanistic- black is completely gone.

Cornsnakes have three pigment colors- melanin (black [and brown]), erythrin (red [and orange]), and Xanthin (yellow).

I wouldn't expect that snake to ever strike at anyone- that's just not their thing. Now that he's an adult not a nervous little hatchling.

Do all your children love snakes?

Nanci

Fabius said:

keeping them separately is more an American habit... in Europe it's a little different!

Well, could be because at least a couple of the foremost experts in the corn business recommends it. Of course, people will do what they will do no matter what is recommended. I've believed we've had a rather graphic post recently of what will happen if Murphy pays a visit to your house and your snakes decide to eat each other...

The snake looks like a normal to me.

mbdorfer said:
On a side note, that snake has an awful lot of yellow in it. I once had a similar looking one that was a cross between a corn and a yellow rat. I'm not suggesting that yours is a hybrid, just sharing some info for what it's worth.

I keep going back to the picture of the head... it just looks funky to me. Boxier than I'm use to, I guess. I know my guy is longer, although perhaps not as heavy (although he may be) and his head is still sleeker than this guy. I know not corns are the same and we see more babies than adults on here, but something looks weird to me.... more than likely just my eye :)

First let me say that is a very nice normal.
One of my okeetees has a lot of yellow like that. Nothing about that snake would make me think anything other then beautiful normal with a lot of yellow that will be shedding soon...lol
I think the boxy look is probably just the angle of the shot.

Fabius said:

Yes, but corn snakes are native to North America aren't they?

something to think about

The following is MY OPINION but seems to be the general concensus around here

I feel it is best to keep snakes separate.
I know a lot of people can and do keep multiple snakes together without problems. I just feel the possible drawbacks need to be expressed.
When a person gets the experience and knowledge of each individual snake in his care, and wants to try co-habitation, it is up to them. They just need to be careful and observant enough to see and understand the subtle signs of stress in their snakes.
There can be definite drawbacks in co-habitation.
If one snake becomes sick there is a very good likelihood the other/others will get sick as well.
It may also take a while (usually too long) to determine which one is the sick one.
If one regurgitates its food you won't know which one unless you happen to get lucky and see it.
If one has a problem stool you won't know which one. Once again one may have a problem and by the time you figure out which one the other/others could end up with the same problem.
Although this is only a slight possibility, it is still a possibility and has been know to happen... one snake could eat the other. Cannibalism can and does occur with corn snakes. The smell of a prey item could trigger one snake to eat the other. Or simple hunger accompanied by a ready food source could do the same. Although uncommon, it has happened and is a possibility.
Another possibility is unwanted pregnancy. A female may become gravid and you may not have the knowledge, desire or ability to incubate the eggs, care for the hatchlings and find homes for them. With hatchlings comes added responsibility.
A lot of people rationalize by saying, "I will just put two males or two females together". That can work but mistakes can be made, especially with hatchlings. You could easily end up with a male and female.
There is also a chance of a female breeding too young or too small and becoming egg-bound. Although uncommon, it is a possibility and can happen.
With multiple snakes in the same enclosure you could easily loose them all if there happens to be an avenue of escape. Instead of losing one you could loose two or more depending on how many you decide to place together.
They are escape artists.
With multiple snakes in an enclosure, one or all of them could be stressed by the presence of the others. Stress can cause a drop in appetite and other health problems as well.
People will put multiple snakes in an enclosure and ask why one isn't eating.
When they are told it is probably due to stress caused by the other snake, the response is almost always the same "they like each other, they are always under the same hide together". Well this probably just means "that" hide or area of the tank has the optimum conditions they are looking for.
Snakes do not LIKE each other or ENJOY each other’s company.
There is no capacity for snakes to "like" or "enjoy".
I have kept multiple snakes together, without problems, but have made a choice to keep them separate. There are NO good arguments as to why you SHOULD keep them together but there ARE several good arguments as to why you SHOULD NOT.
So, in my opinion, although people do it successfully I just don't think it is worth the risk.
If you decide to keep multiple snakes together, watch closely for any signs of appetite loss, shedding problems, regurgitation or “personality” changes. These could all be signs of stress.
You would also want to feed them in separate containers and give them an hour or so before putting them back together.
My 2 cents

Thanks for the info.....very helpful. I have 4 boys and they all do...my daughter is coming around and my wife has just stopped screaming... The snake or "Cobb" as we call him is handled often.

Originally Posted by Fabius

Fill yer boots, there are a lot of reasons not to co habitat.. And it is not just an American thing.. I think you need to talk to more of your expierianced Europeon counter parts and remove your foot from your mouth.. Sad that you take to stereo typing like that right off the bat... Ah well, I hope this thread gets back on track...

* by this time it has become redundant to even reply to such information... *

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Back