• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new snake will not eat

jusbizness403

jusbizness
I bought my snake on the 19th of July. He is a hatchling. Lady at the pet shop I got him from said he had already had his first meal. This was on a Monday. I left him alone till Thursday. I tried to feed him on Thursday and he refused. I tried again this Thursday last night and again he refused. This is live mice. So. I killed the pinkie and and split the top of the head and let some blood drop out and left him in there. i tried to make it dance for him and make him strike at it. He just ignored it. Any more suggestions. I am new to this Please help!!!!!!!! :shrugs:

hi sorry to hear that we had to force feed a hatchling last night all ate exept for one we took a day old pinky and wife held his mouth open and i made him eat we are not experts but im sure you will get better replies than thgis good luck

Wait a couple of days and you can try this is put your pinky in a small container that has holes in it (for the snake to breath) Glad throw away container.. or deli cup, and then put the snake in the container.

Do this feeding at night like around 8pm or 9 pm. Leave the container with the snake in it in your viv shut off all the lights and leave the snake alone. check on the snake in the morning.

If this fails you can try some Anole scent, and use that on the pinkie.

For future ref, the next hatchling you buy make sure it has had 3 feedings prior to buying it.

Krenna gave some good advice. Just to add: leave a few days in between trying to feed the snake - you want to make sure that you don't stress him/her out because they will be less willing to eat.

Also, how are your temperatures in the viv? What's your setup? You really should make sure that the temperatures are correct, because a slight change could stress out the snake and make it unwilling to eat.

Another question I'd like to ask you, just because it sadly happened to me a few years ago, is - what is your substrate? Once a pet store lady told me to use a cedar/pine mix she had been using, and the acidity of it harmed my snake, it wouldn't eat, and it died. The lady had also told me that the snake ate before I bought it.

In any case, please remember not to Force Feed your snake unless it is a last resort and the snake hasn't eaten for months or something. Force feeding is very traumatic to snakes.

good luck..

I am using something that I am not real sure of the name you put it in hot water and it expands and you squeeze it out and put it in the viv. At first I was using the yesterdays newspaper that you buy at pet store but someone told me that they may be to dry? Any suggestions as to what the best is. My temps stay beween 75-80 during the day and at night I shut everything off and my home stays at around 70. In the morning I cut the reptile heating pad back on.

Change out your substrate, get aspen bedding or keep newspaper, also don't feed your snake on any type of substrate unless its paper towel or news paper.

I bet your humidity is way too high if what I think your using is spanglum moss, If I spelt that correctly. Corns do well in about 50% humidity. Corns are not tropical snakes. In you living in Alabama I am sure the humidity is fine for ambiant air.

You snake needs to be in a drier environment.

Hi there...It´s not fun with eating problems
Since you already tryed many different ways feeding it you probably need to change something else. Try to increese the temperature in the cage and after a few days try feeding it again. Perhaps the pinkie is to large for the snake, divide it into two pieces.

If nothing works and the snake looses wheight you might have to force feed him. BUT I recomend that you bring the snake to someone with good experience to help you because you can hurt it if you dont do this the right way....

Good luck

Back