• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake

im getting a new snake after christmas and i was thinking about getting a king snake!

Are they easy to look after?

i have 2 corn's already do King's have different husbandry requirments?
or would i be ok just setting up the same as my corns???

I was thinking about getting a brazilian rainbow boa..Am currently saving up for a reptile house in my garden.Got to get planning permission first!Hope you do get your new snake,my other half won't let me bring anything else into the house,so why I'll be building and moving into my reptile room/s!!

what type of snakes/reptiles require the same type of husbandry as corn, i am not 100% sure i am getting a King yet!

the reason i ask is that i am building new viv's for my snakes and for my beardies, which means i will have some spare viv's, and instead of selling them or throwing them away i would rather get another snake/reptile, that has roughly the same set up as my corn's because it's pretty easy to maintain!

any help/advise would be great! :cheers:

id say most kings are very similar to corn vivs even a lot of rats, i had two russian rats that were similar to my corn vivs now and even my milk snake and fox snake were pretty similar,, the only thing that would be drastically different would be some different or exotic kinds of rat snakes or boas and pythons where temps hafta be higher and that sorta thing, i just got a vietnamese blue beauty, which is a type of rat snake, and her viv is a lot different then my corns where i hafta keep some humidity so its easy for her to shed and some branches for her to climb. her substrate has to be water every once in a while to keep the humidity up, but id say your pretty safe with the kings, some rat snakes or milk snakes.... any one feel different??

In the past I've kept kings under husbandry conditions identical to the ones I use for my corns, and never experienced a problem.

i keep my kingsnakes similar to what i do my corns
mexican blacks are a nice one to go for but albino calis are nice too

ok, i'v been searching the internet since yesterday and i have desided that im gunna use two of my viv's to get a Ball Python and some leo's.

do you think this is a good idea?

are they easy to look after?

Ball pythons are very nice, but they are also well known for being finicky. The second snake I got was a Ball Python, and it was the best thing I ever did. It taught me how to deal with most problems that a snake could throw at ya. Non-feeding, problem sheds, respiratory infection (when I got her), etc. Now she is doing great, but she still only eats live. Just make sure that you get a captive born and bred snake, not a wild caught. I would also try to see the snake eat twice before you buy it if you are getting it from a pet store.

great, well i have no problem feeding it live mice, as i already breed them for my corn's but i kill them first before feeding them to my corn's!

what would be best to feed it?
i read they really like gerbils and hamsters!
so would it be worth while buying some hamsters to breed for him/her to eat?
how often do hamsters breed and how many young do they have?

Mice are fine for Ball pythons. When they get bigger you will have to switch to rats. I would try pre-killing first. Alot of them will take pre-killed or F/T. I have two others that do. I was just trying to illustrate the finnicky nature of my first girl. Hamsters and Gerbils are really only neccasary if you can't get them to eat rats or mice. I've noticed with mine, that they all prefer to eat in a hide. They like the ambush. If you feed them in a seperate container, you should put their hide in it so they can do that.

Back