• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New to breeding

Rudy

Hey all, I want to breed snakes. But I am completely new to this. I have bred my guinea pig before and she had 1 successful pregnancy and died shortly after her second one. During her second pregnancy she also had a miscarriage, still makes me sad when I think about it. I would like to learn everything and anything there is to breed snakes, I would prefer not getting another snake from PetCo seeing as well, they know nothing about their snakes. I am hopefully going to be buying a snake from a breeder if I can find one that is. If not then the breeding will have to wait a bit. But I am still interested in learning and knowing what I will need and what I won't need. I did order the book by Kathy Love and the book by Don Soderberg, so if you were going to recommend those, I am one step ahead ;) I know I'll need an incubator but for now I just want to learn anything and everything I can.

Thanks much

-Andy

My personal recommendation would be to read both of those books, the breeding sections twice and/or three times, and then make a list of things that are still unclear to you. There are tons of threads and posts around here that really cover a lot of the basics already, so just asking the general question of "what to do" is extremely difficult to answer.

D80

Well suggestions, past experiences, anything and everything really :-/ I'll take all info I can get... Amazon.com is slow on shipping so I don't know how soon I'll get my books.

Have you decided what sorta morphs your going to try to produce?

Before you actually buy an breeders it might be worth looking into corn genetics a little so as to help you start your perfect project.

The corn morph guide by Charles Pritzel is a fab. http://cornguide.com/the guide.php

Good luck

Well as far as I know I have an Amel. I don't even know if it is a boy or girl. Can I crossbreed a kingsnake with a corn? Or is it only Corn x Corn... This is the kinda stuff I meant :-/ sorry if I wasn't too clear

Yep, Corn x King hybrids are possible. However, Kings are cannibalistic, so mating them with Corns can be a bit tricky. Probably best to stick to Corn x Corn to start with, as you get used to it.

Your first priority is to get your current Corn accurately sexed. You'll need something like a good reptile shop or breeder to do that for you.

Well hopefully after I find a local breeder he/she could help me out... I got my fingers crossed :p

Back