• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New to Corn Snakes

I have owned many reptiles, and several snakes (all pythons) and I am currently thinking about adopting a hatchling corn snake (mostly because I think she is beautiful very dark background with bright orange/red spots). I don't know much about rat snakes in general or corn snakes specifically and so I had a few questions before getting this little one.
I know they are native to SouthEast US, but what are their special heating, lighting, and humidity requirements?
Would a 20L be too large for a hatchling (she's only about 8" right now)?
Are they finicky eaters, and if so what can be done to help them along?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi There
A great book you could buy which contains tonnes of information re corn snakes is
Corn snakes; The comprehensive owners guide written by Kathy and Bill Love

Welcome! I agree that the book the previous poster recommended is the best book out there. Lots of good pet stores have it, or you can get it from Kathy Love's Cornutopia site. You can also use the search function on this site to find answers to your questions.

That said, a 20 gallon long is generally recommended as large enough for an adult corn snake. Most people keep hatchlings in a shoebox size container, or at the largest, a 10 gallon to start.

Paper towels are, I think, the best starter substrata, as it lets you monitor "bodily functions." They are rather shy, especially as hatchlings, so you want to give them lots of places to hide. They can get stressed out with a too large enclosure with not enough places to hide, and that can cause feeding problems. But in general, most of them are little pigs. For hatchlings the size of yours, a small pinkie about every 5-6 days should be enough at first.

Make sure that they have a water bowl that is big enough for the whole snake to fit into, but not huge or deep, so they can get back out.

Temperature range should be mid 80's on the warm side, and mid 70's on the cool. For just one, an under tank heater works, or a low wattage red bulb. Naturally, you want to take the temp at floor level. No special lighting is needed, as they are most active at dusk and dawn, but they :sidestep: can be out at other times.

Most people seem to just use normal house humidity, although you can lightly mist the cage when they get ready to shed, or put a moist hide in for them to regulate their own humidity.

That should at least get you started, and I'm sure that others will chime in. I've only been into corns for a few months. The biggest problem seems to be keeping from handling the cuties for the first four days or so, until they get settled in! And, of course, it's oh, so, hard not to get more! Be warned; they are addictive!

Best of luck with your new baby!

Well, I have my little Hatchling in a 20gal. and he seems fine and is quite calm. It's saves buying different tanks as it grows, but, it's really up to you.

Corns are usually quite easy to feed, but if yours is that small, it sounds like a very undersized hatchling. Most baby corns are bigger than that when they are born, and most are born in August or so. That would make yours a very, very small snake that is probably not eating well. Usually you can get them feeding pretty easily on frozen/thawed pinkies. If you use paper as substrate, you could try feeding in the viv at first, just placing a well-warmed pinky in front of the hide in the evening. See if it takes it. Otherwise, you can place it in a seperate container with the pinky and then put it back in the viv after it's done. Good luck with it! There's also a FAQ section on this forum that you can refer to. It has most of the questions answered that you asked. There is also a great search feature at the top. Just type in a word or words such as tank temperatures, etc. and it will show you all threads that have that in there.

Back