• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New to snakes... questions..

ara35

First off, I am new to this forum and I’ve had a couple posts already today so instead I am going to put it in one thread. I have never owned a snake. I ordered two books on Cornsnakes so that will definitely help answer some questions but as usual, I am very intrigued about doing this. SO here are some questions…

1. Back to an argument that’s been going a while it looks like but corn snake vs. ball python.. better for a beginner?
2. How easy is it for a snake to escape? Is this common? If there is a locking lid, will it still get out?
3. If a corn snake gets on the floor, from dropping or something (not thinking how it would happen but..) would it just take off or are they a little hesitant?
4. Are the expos good places for purchasing snakes? How old should a purchased snake be?
5. Can an adult snake be placed on a bed or a floor if you are right next to it, watching it, or should it always be held when out of its cage?
6. Is it possible to have live plants with a cornsnake? Does anyone have any pictures of something they have done with live plants?

I think that’s it for now. I’m just very anxious as I have been waiting for 2 years and now that I graduated college I am prepared to take on the responsibility. Any responses/comments would be great! Thanks guys!

1. Back to an argument that’s been going a while it looks like but corn snake vs. ball python.. better for a beginner?
2. How easy is it for a snake to escape? Is this common? If there is a locking lid, will it still get out?
3. If a corn snake gets on the floor, from dropping or something (not thinking how it would happen but..) would it just take off or are they a little hesitant?
4. Are the expos good places for purchasing snakes? How old should a purchased snake be?
5. Can an adult snake be placed on a bed or a floor if you are right next to it, watching it, or should it always be held when out of its cage?
6. Is it possible to have live plants with a cornsnake? Does anyone have any pictures of something they have done with live plants?

I can't answer all your questions but I am sure someone will come along to fill in the rest. but this is my experience with corns so far.
1,Corn snakes are beginner snakes(require very little care, and easy to please)
2, My snake is almost a yearling with no locking lid(easy to open) and has never escaped, though I know I am lucky, and he will try eventually. If there is an escape, they will escape... eventually.
3, she usually hesitates. If i place her on the floor she will grip onto my hand with her tail and slowly wander off eventually letting go. If she drops off of a table I have placed her on, she will usually just hide under it until i pick her up again. (note "usually")
4, I got myn from an expo (claimed 4 months old) but she had mites to start out with, however she has always been a great feeder, and seems to prefer being out in the open to feed. I've heard to many pet store horror stories around these forums, and you can usually find the snake you want a little cheaper at an expo.
5, sorry as myn is still young
6, instead of a terrarium it will be a vivarium but live plants can cause humidity problems, which can cause diseases, however it can be done. Just look into everything you will need to care for your little guy. (make the snake your priority, not your plants)

Just keep in mind, every snake has its own personality and no two are the same
hope this helps
just my 2 cents

1. Corn snake. They are docile and easy to care for. Ball pythons are docile too, but require bigger (read; more expensive) meals and tanks.
2. VERY easy, especially for hatchlings. As the post above me states, if there is a method of escape available, they WILL escape... eventually.
3. Depends on the snake and how settled in they are with their home and with you. Mine is still fairly new and tries to dart out of my hands if I so much as go NEAR the floor.
4. Generally, yes. They should have had at least their first shed and be eating well (ask to see the one you want eat, if possible).
5. Mine is young too, but my friend's brother's snakes (which got me into corns in the first place) were VERY docile, and would just slither around on her bed with us all day long if we let them. The only time we handled them was when we wanted to hold them or play with them.
6. I would not reccommend it for two reasons;
a. Live plants cannot be properly disinfected and may bring insects or parasites into your snake's home
b. Snakes will very quickly wear down even hardy plants.
If you want some greenery in the tank, go with plastic or silk plants.

F

1. My conclusion is that BPs & corn snakes are probably fine beginner snakes. My next snake is either going to be a dwarf boa or a ball, and I have (so far) 3 corn snakes, so I went the corn snake route.
2. They are apparently escape artists, there are lots of escaped snake threads here. I think a locking lid would stop that, though, assuming the snake isn't small enough to squeeze around it.
3. My snakes: Humphrey would not just take off. Attitude would. This may vary with the snake's age & disposition. Humphrey is very handleable & an adult, Attitude is a hateling & was hatched this year sometime.
4. I can't answer this one.
5. Humphrey is totally fine with this. I would not risk him zipping off in my crowded apartment so I don't let him on the floor but he's fine on the bed or on the futon watching TV.
6. I have read that snakes usually end up killing the plants. There are, however, these plant holders that mount on the glass so you could add a natural live plant without the snake crushing them. I have no personal experience -- I went with the cheap fabric plants (so if they get poo'd on or otherwise destroyed I will just toss & buy new).

First off, I am new to this forum and I’ve had a couple posts already today so instead I am going to put it in one thread. I have never owned a snake. I ordered two books on Cornsnakes so that will definitely help answer some questions but as usual, I am very intrigued about doing this. SO here are some questions…

I think that’s it for now. I’m just very anxious as I have been waiting for 2 years and now that I graduated college I am prepared to take on the responsibility. Any responses/comments would be great! Thanks guys!

1. Corns are easier. Not to say that ball pythons are super complicated, but corns are easier.
2. Yes they will escape. Trust me I've lost a few. I think the more snakes you have the easier it is just because you become complacent and everyone makes mistakes. But if the lid is locked and secure at all times you are good.
3. It depends on the snake. I have some that would rocket themselves under whatever they could and some that would chill. I think that's more of an age thing.
4. I have bought snakes from expos. I believe a snake should have eaten at least 3x and shed once. But really one feeding and one shed wouldn't freak me out. At this time of year I doubt you find any super young.
5. Mine chill with me on the bed alot but never ever take your eyes off them.
6. I don't have any live plants but if you check out the book The Art of Keeping Snakes it talks about it in good detail.

My two cents:

Corn Snake gets my vote. BPs can be easy as pie or awkward as sin - luck of the draw which you get (as you can tell, I got the wrong one when I tried my hand at BPs!). Corns are pretty much bomb-proof as long as you buy an established feeder from a reputable breeder.

They'll try and keep trying. They can squeeze through gaps and tiny holes that you wouldn't believe were possible. I've watched a couple try to crawl between the panes of glass in a sliding glass door viv before. Any lid - locking or otherwise - has to be a very snug fit to be secure.

Depends on the individual snake. Most of mine would just sit there, but a couple would be off like a rocket. The younger they are, the faster they are - and the harder to catch up with and find when lost!

I'd say it's more down to the breeder at the expo, than the expo itself. Do some research and find out who the good guys are before attending. And go with a firm idea of what you want - the impulse buy is the curse of the Corn owner! (And yes, I've been there...).

As for how old, it depends what you want. If you want to see a Corn change as it grows, then start with a hatchling that's an established feeder. If you want a Corn that stays exactly the same as when you bought it, then go for something about three years old. A sub-adult (18 months old ish) would be a good compromise if neither of those options appeals.

Personally, I never put mine down. I can't predict when they're going to try and make a run for it and I know I can't keep up if they do!

I think there are some "naturalistic" vivariums around which use live plants.

Back