• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New to snakes

kupo9

Hey all, I'm pretty much new to snakes and I'm in need of some opinions and I heard this is THE forum for corns!

I recently got a hold of this black/gray corn, I think it's a anery (cant really get pics, no cam. ATM). I had him/her in a 5gal and heating wasn't working out. I moved into a 10gal with an infra heat lamp connected to a thermostat. I set it to 87F but the highest it's reaching is ~87F and the lamp stays on.

What are IDEAL temps for these guys? Should I adjust my thermostat? I'm using a Johnson's Control A419 thermostat and the corn is fairly small, maybe a yearling give or take.

Any info is appreciated!

Ideal temps for corn snakes are typically 80-85F on the warm side and on the cool side, it should be about 70-75F (a couple degrees more or less shouldn't be much to worry about).
In regards to the heating method, you should try using an under tank heater/heat pad to get some proper temps going. A heat lamp is known to dry out the air in the tank and it might cause some poor sheds.
Also, how are you measuring the heat? It is suggested that you use a probe thermometer with the probe end under the substrate just above the heat pad. You can use a thermostat/rheostat or even a table lamp dimmer to control the amount of heat that expels from the heat pad.

Hope I helped. Good luck with your corn :)

I am indeed using a probe digital therm. to measure heat. I'm using the lamp because I had it with the 50w bulb laying around. Right now I can't afford a UTH (seriously :\). I guess when it's time to shed I will just add a shed box, will that do?

I am indeed using a probe digital therm. to measure heat. I'm using the lamp because I had it with the 50w bulb laying around. Right now I can't afford a UTH (seriously :\). I guess when it's time to shed I will just add a shed box, will that do?

That will definetly help.

It is believed that corns benefit from under tank heat/belly heat to aid in their digestion so I would suggest getting a UTH when you have the money for it.

You can get a UTH/rheostat combo for $20 or under because as already mentioned they need belly heat to properly digest meals. A shed box is also a nice idea, but do try and get a 20 from someone long term you will need a UTH. Good luck!

Back