• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new viv for mysnake

talc22

Hi, i got a new viv for my 4 year old corn snake a few days ago, i upgraded from a 24" to a 36". The problem is that she hasnt moved from the same spot since i put her in, even when i open it and move her hide she just lifts her head and looks at me, this is not like her at all. Is this normal behavour when moved to a new viv.Thanks.

Hi, I have had the same kind of thing with 2 of my corns, it is just be the new smells and space, after a week or so they where back to normal, have you got any of the old substrate you could put in so it smells familiar. Eddie

Yep, it's pretty normal. I've found that most of mine when moved will behave like new arrivals - either hiding away for days (or a couple of weeks) like yours, or endlessly circuiting the tank and exploring.

I think the best thing is to treat her as though she was a new arrival and just leave her in peace for a week. You should find she settles into her standard routine in a short while.

Hi, I have had the same kind of thing with 2 of my corns, it is just be the new smells and space, after a week or so they where back to normal, have you got any of the old substrate you could put in so it smells familiar. Eddie

Eddie...
You have two snake in one viv or....two viv??

thanks for the advice, she is acting exactly like a new snake peeking out from her hiding spot. i will just leave her alone until she goes back to normal.

When i clicked this post i wanted to see pictures of your new viv so you better post them! :roflmao:

Eddie...
You have two snake in one viv or....two viv??

Hi Lennycorn, i only have 2 young female corns at the moment, (a butter corn 9 months and a okeetee 14 months) in seperate vivs, i used to keep 4 adult corns until about about 8 years ago and housed them depending on there sex,( males together and females together ),i did this as the reptille club i used to attend said it was normal practise, wether opinions have changed in the years i have been out of the hobby i dont know, i can only comment on my past experiences and i never had any probs with keeping them together, they fed and shed perfectly, as i dont want to stress or upset my corns i am keeping them in seperate vivs, although when i get them out i do let them meet each other, sorry for waffling on, Eddieh

It was common practice to keep multiple snakes together as they are keep together in zoos still. No one on this site will recommend it, or anyone keeping up with modern herp practices. However some people still use old care sheets from twenty years ago and don't bother reading up or joining sites. I have a friend who keeps two ball pythons (one still a baby) with a reticulated python. Madness! But he wont take advice from a corn snake owner on how to manage the pythons, even though I do have a python.

I believe keeping snakes separate has more to do with protecting them from parasites than from each other. It also gives them their own space. And it is really hard to tell the males from the females if you're starting out, breeders know the difference, kids don't. I've read too many posts from too many sites (not this one of course) from people who ended up with eggbound females because they cohabed their snakes. Sorry that got a little longer than I expected. Forgive me.

Back