• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New viv in progress... question about UTH

skittledoo

My snow corn has gotten out of her tank a few times. My husband and I recently inherited a rat pet and we got a second rat as well. The rats are kept in a separate room, but I still wanted to do something about my snake staying in her enclosure.

I bought a 40 gallon Zilla Critter Cage (the ones you can lock) and I'm setting it up now. I don't have a stand that can hold this size tank so I have to put the tank on the floor for now. To create a little airflow under the tank I grabbed these metal scrap pieces my husband had tossed aside.

Here's my question. My UTH isn't sticking to the glass well. The corners keep coming off the glass. My husband would probably throw a fit if I bought a new one right now since I just bought this new tank. I grabbed a chunk of cardboard that presses up to the UTH and holds it in place. Is this ok? It won't burn the cardboard if I'm using my thermostat right? Just want to make sure it's ok before I start adding the rest of the setup.

Pics so far.

IMAG1340.jpg

Looking in from the top
IMAG1339.jpg

With the cardboard piece
IMAG1341.jpg

Duct tape works, but you have to be careful to check it often to make sure that when it falls off (as it will eventually from the heat) that you replace it. Aluminum tape is what I would use if I had to. I usually don't stick my heat pads on the cages at all though.

I went ahead and taped it instead. Put in the fresh bedding and let the thermostat run the UTH for a little bit to make sure all my temps were staying constant before moving her over.

I'm eventually going to change it up a bit, but for now she has some makeshift hides added in so she has more places to hide. She seems pretty content with this new setup so far. I'm still keeping an eye on the temps, but everything is running smoothly. Going to leave her alone for a bit so she can adjust to her new habitat. I may move the hide in the middle so it's facing a different direction, but she loves that particular one since it was in her old habitat.

Here's a pic of the current setup
IMAG1346.jpg

Back