• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New vivarium for 5 year old

DarrenHyland

Hey all,

I currently have a 5 year old corn snake whom I would like to purchase a new vivarium for.

My current one is wood. However, it's easy to escape through and I am also hoping to get another snake sometime in the near future which I would like another tank for. Lets stick to one though.

My current vivarium has two vents at the back which is the only place the wire for the heat mat and sensor can go through. However, once removed, the snake can pull on the wire and the vent comes loose. We've screwed it in place put the snake then fitted it's head through, so now we've put boarding over the vent with holes for air and a gap for the wires, but not for him to get through.

That's my problem with getting another of the same. I'm wondering if any of you guys know some vivariums that could be a good purchase? I don't have a preference on wood or glass, although wood would be better if possible.

My current vivarium is this one I believe (could be the next one up): http://www.leedspetshops.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_66_81&products_id=185

I live in Leeds so any shops close and such would a great help. Thanks for your time.

Peace,
Darren

You should be fine with that sort of viv.

The usual thing is to drill holes in the back or side for wires, rather than put them through the air vents. As you've found, this damages or loosens them. Holes small enough for heat mat wire and stat sensor won't be anywhere near big enough for an adult Corn to get through.

You should be fine with the same thing. Just drill holes in the wooden back or side rather then usng the plastic vents, which are only there to provide airflow.

For an adult Corn the guideline is that it needs to be able to stetch its full length across one side and along the length of a viv. The minimum I'd go for would be three feet long and 18 inches deep although really, the bigger the better.

Back