• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Vivarium (varnished) - when can snake move it?

whiffin

Just Another Member
OKay, I have made a new vivarium for Suzy as his old one is far too small.

About 2.5' x 1' x 1' made from plywood, and has been varnished, as tutorials shown me, with yacht - this, I have been led to believe does not have nasty odurs that harm snakes.

The heat mat / thermostat is currently heating the vivarium and substrate (aspen) to the correct termperature 21-25 (cool) 29 - 33 (warm).

I was going to move him in as soon as it was warm enough.

BUT, opening the glass door today, I noticed a smell of varnish. Nothing too bad, but there none-the-less.

Now - I know that yacht varnish odour is not supposed to hurt a snake as (hence why it's recommended) - but will it be OKay to move him in?

It had it's last coat of varnish outside on Wednesday - and inside on Sunday - so it's had plenty of time to dry.

Please advise

I would leave the door open for a while, as there is nowhere for the interal odours to escape from (Well apart from the air vents!) but the draught through should help. Personally Then close the Doors and monitor the temps, I would give it until after the weekend before introducing your snake to his new home. And congrats on building your own that must be very satifying, I would love to see a picture whenl your guy has settled in. :cheers:

Cool - will do.

I have left the door open all week, and it hasn't emptied it. I thought if the door was closed it may get more of an airflow (as the two air vents are positioned on the bottom of the cool side and top of the warm side).

What d'ya think?

Pics will follow - got a home made 'rocky' backdrop made from polystyrene, ceiling tile glue, a dremmel and tile cement - looks sweet

Do you have a desk fan you could blow some air across it, perhaps across that (Cool sounding) backdrop too, it may help, :)

when I used yacht varnish i let it dry for 3-4 weeks, it may not smell as bad to you now but once the heat is turn on the smell does get stronger.

I honestly think with most finishes that about 2 weeks or more is needed for a complete dry out (my brothers a joiner). My brother says 10-14 days the norm ith 3 weeks better still.

Best to keep heat mat on then, so it gets warm?>

Maybe shut door - heat up - then open to let fumes out

What d'ya think?

Cheers

What cornman said. I think more ventilation is better so leave the doors open. while back ago I was interested in building cages. most of the suggestions I found on sealants such as polys and other varnishes recommend 2-3 weeks or so. One technique to check was put a glass upside down on the surface and let it sit. Later lift the glass and see if you can smell any vapors. Best to do this after you're pretty sure it is OK - the vapors can be unhealthy. The cage forum at KS has really great advice especially from chris_harper2.

I was told to do the lick test. If there's no odor, and no taste when you lick it, then it's safe.

It's your tongue! :laugh:

OKay - thanks for your points guys, appreciated.

It's annoying, I want to give Suzy his new home as his old one is too small. It looks so nice and I can't put him in as it'll harm him. Guess he'll have to wait a little while longer :(

I am now using a variety of techniques to a) make sure the varnish is dry and b) replace the air to stop the smell. It's getting better, fingers crossed.

One thing that does concern me, although the heat mat covers 2/3 of the vivarium base, it only heats up to 27ish degrees, but then again the doors are open and the thermometer is half way up the size, we'll see when it's finished I spose.

Cheers for your help again.

A

With the door's closed and a thermomitor layed on the substrate, the temps should go up at least 3-4 degree's c.

If you have Aspen in there now that could be holding some of the smell from the varnish. You may want to replace it with fresh stuff and see if the odor lessens.

Good point DAND - I did remove it all this morning as I remembered the base was varnished! But I'll be sure not to use that again, I'll use fresh aspen. Good idea.

oldhand - thanks - I was hoping shutting the doors would suffice - I'll move my thermometer.

Just remembered, got a 12v heater/fan in my car - perfect for dryng inside things -- off to get it now ...

Now with pics

Thought you guys would appreciate pics ...

Sorry for quality - taken with phone

First pic is taken from inside - shows you the rocky backdrop - this looks much nicer in real life

Second pic shows you how it looks (fits perfectly into case)

Third shows where bits are inside

viv1.jpg

viv2.jpg

viv3.jpg

An update incase anyone is interested.

A weekend of airing later, better, but still not chancing it. It's OK till dorrs close and it heats up. My little heater/fan inside was awful.

But now got a 12" desk fan, positioned it inside to get an airflow. Room about 21 deg most of day and 15 all night, so with a fan on shouldn't take long, hopefully.

Back