• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new

steve-00

hi everyone
my name is steve, i'm 18, iv owned iguanas, leopard geeks, cats, dogs, chickens, fish, tarantella and many other animals but never a snake b4, well iv kept wild graders for a few weeks but never anything long term, and now im a proud owner of 2 corn snakes, my friend convinced me to go to a reptile expo, and i had told him that i had wanted one for a long time but just never found a good pries, well needless to say there was many good deals there, lol, so i ended up bring home 2, and a tarantella, so being very new to them all the advise i can get will be very nice, rite now, there both in a small tank together, male and female, the substrate is news paper and paper towels, there's a shallow water dish a "rock" "cave" and a vine like thing from a pet store, there's a small heat pat in one of the corners and i think thats it, im im doing something wrong or if there's something better i could be doing please let me know =)

wild graders

Well we teachers do like to "let our hair down" during the summer....

Try a search on cohabbing. In my opinion, cohabbing is not a wise idea. Snakes by their very nature are solitary, hatchlings can become canibalistic in small spaces, and any problems that occur, such as regurges or issues with feces will not be able to be identfied to a single snake, so you would be forced to treat both. In addition, competition for hides can stress and animal, causing it to have health issues or go off feed. I would strongly suggest getting a second habitat for one of the snakes. If you can afford a baby snake, you should also be able to afford a proper habitat for it, by itself.

You did not say if you have regulated the heat pad on your vivarium. Do you have it connected to a thermostat or rheostat? If you don't, this is a must as well. Unregulated heat pads can cause serious thermal burns if the snake gets too close to them. Google "snake burns" if you want to see graphic evidence of such.

When snakes are babies, they appreciate the security of many, many hides, so put a lot in there. You don't have to buy these... anything small and compact will do. I have used the green foam bottoms of vine-ripened tomatos, and am currently saving a washing the tiny plastic containers that our small dogs food comes in. You can cut holes in these to make hides. The other thing you can do is get one of the small, plastic dog water dishes that is "no-tip," so the bottom flares out. These usually have a gap under them that the snakes LOVE to hide in. ALL of my snakes, big and small, are fans of these. They love the feel of being "wedged" into someplace.

And a small personal suggestion. Commas should be used sparingly. Periods indicate the end of a thought, and help the reader to stay organized as they read your post. Proper use of punctuation will help you in life to sound more professional and adult. We also have a really good spell check system, which you can click prior to posting. It's not perfect, but it will catch some of the more noteable mistakes. Best of luck with your snakes.

Well we teachers do like to "let our hair down" during the summer....

Try a search on cohabbing. In my opinion, cohabbing is not a wise idea. Snakes by their very nature are solitary, hatchlings can become canibalistic in small spaces, and any problems that occur, such as regurges or issues with feces will not be able to be identfied to a single snake, so you would be forced to treat both. In addition, competition for hides can stress and animal, causing it to have health issues or go off feed. I would strongly suggest getting a second habitat for one of the snakes. If you can afford a baby snake, you should also be able to afford a proper habitat for it, by itself.

You did not say if you have regulated the heat pad on your vivarium. Do you have it connected to a thermostat or rheostat? If you don't, this is a must as well. Unregulated heat pads can cause serious thermal burns if the snake gets too close to them. Google "snake burns" if you want to see graphic evidence of such.

When snakes are babies, they appreciate the security of many, many hides, so put a lot in there. You don't have to buy these... anything small and compact will do. I have used the green foam bottoms of vine-ripened tomatos, and am currently saving a washing the tiny plastic containers that our small dogs food comes in. You can cut holes in these to make hides. The other thing you can do is get one of the small, plastic dog water dishes that is "no-tip," so the bottom flares out. These usually have a gap under them that the snakes LOVE to hide in. ALL of my snakes, big and small, are fans of these. They love the feel of being "wedged" into someplace.

And a small personal suggestion. Commas should be used sparingly. Periods indicate the end of a thought, and help the reader to stay organized as they read your post. Proper use of punctuation will help you in life to sound more professional and adult. We also have a really good spell check system, which you can click prior to posting. It's not perfect, but it will catch some of the more noteable mistakes. Best of luck with your snakes.

i'm sorry for the spelling and punctuation, ill work on that, thank you for the advice.

Welcome to CS.com. You should be able to get all your questions answered here. Now we just need to see pictures of your 2.

Welcome and congrats on your new additions!! This forum is great and you will find lots of good info. on it. Every time I have had a question or an issue I have not even had to post anything, I have just done a search and found all the info I needed. I have also heard that cohabbing is not a good idea. On the temps I did not notice you mention what you had the temps at. To quote a post in the husbandry forum try to make sure the temps are "75-80F for the 'cool' side, and 80-85F for the warm side". Are they hatchlings? Make sure not to handle them for at least a couple days after they eat to avoid any regurge probs. As far as feeding when you are ready to bump them up a lot of people on here use the Munson feeding plan and I have pasted it below. I am looking forward to seeing your pics!

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Adult females are fed every 7-12 days; adult males are fed every 11-14 days.

I also can not wait to see pics and can not stress enough to get separate homes for the two of them and to make sure you have the UTH or heat pad regulated for a temperature between 80-85 and the low side can actually be as low as 70-75 because they need to have more of a variation in temp for thermoregulation. Here is a great tip from Kathy Love, author of Corn Snakes the comprehensive owners guide, on how to give them the varied temps in the hides with out having to have many hides. She suggests getting either a few paper towel tubes(if using these tape together and make sure no sticky edges of tape are exposed as your snake can get stuck to these and become injured) or PVC pipe(if using this try to get a diameter not much larger than paper towel tubing and one piece will make two hides), make sure either is the length of the viv. Then cut in half length wise, so they lay flat in the viv, cut an entrance in the middle of the tubing (either along the top or the bottom edge). This then gives the snake a hide that has all temp gradients in one place, they do not have to come out and feel exposed to possible predators(they feel safer and less stressed, less stressed=healthier), they then only need to come out to drink. If you use the paper towel tubes, replace them as they become soiled or wet as they then pose the rick of molding and causing illness. I have used the PVC pipe, I prefer it as it is easy to clean and sterilize and was inexpensive, just be sure to sand down any rough edges that maybe be left after cutting.

Here are 3 pics of the PVC pipe hide (remember if you do not have the tools to make it out of PVC you can use paper towel tubes as well)
100_6892.jpg

100_6893.jpg

100_6894.jpg

Yeah I plan on using PVC pipe but until I get it I took a cardboard tube from a roll of wrapping paper, cut it to size, cut a couple openings in it and placed it in the back of the viv. My snake loves it and almost never comes out from it.

sorry the pictures are kinda crapy ill tray again later my camera was almost dead, and it wouldn't take a good pic=(/Users/family/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Jul 26, 2009/IMG_2422.JPG/Users/family/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Jul 26, 2009/IMG_2423.JPG/Users/family/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Jul 26, 2009/IMG_2431.JPG/Users/family/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Jul 26, 2009/IMG_2432.JPG
the 1st 2 are of my female and the 2nd to are my male

yeah i'm unsure if the picture are able to be seen, i'm unsure what's going on ill work on it though, sorry

You use the insert image icon at the top of the quick reply box on here
The image has to be on another site, such as facebook or something
Then you right click the pic you want, go to properties and copy and paste the URL address into the insert image, pop up thing for cs.com.
If that makes sense at all... Lol

Back