• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie and Grateful for the Resources

Jai Ru

I'm a new snake parent here and eager to watch my baby grow and mature. You'll see me lurking quite a bit as I don't tend to post much (if any).

Yasmina, my ultramel lavender from Steve Roylance, just arrived yesterday and is getting nicely settled into her tank. Don't worry, I've read the care stickies and Kathy's corn snake book. :)

Just want to send a shout out to all the nice people here that make the forum a community, especially Nanci who I see helping out so many people with her knowledge and being kind while doing it.

I think that's it for now, so I'll go back to lurking. ;)

Welcome, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how minor or dumb you might think they are. There are NO dumb questions, only dumb snake owners too proud to ask!

There are a lot of us here in Phoenix, what part do you live in? I am in Maricopa.

Thanks, all. :D

Smigon, I'm in the Deer Valley area (n Phx). I was kind of wondering if it would be any issues in the summer as I normally keep my AC set at 80 to save on electric. I don't mind bumping it down to 77-78 or so if necessary, but if it's not too warm for my corn snake, I would prefer to keep the house set to 80. Any comment on this?

Thanks, all. :D

Smigon, I'm in the Deer Valley area (n Phx). I was kind of wondering if it would be any issues in the summer as I normally keep my AC set at 80 to save on electric. I don't mind bumping it down to 77-78 or so if necessary, but if it's not too warm for my corn snake, I would prefer to keep the house set to 80. Any comment on this?

We don't use the main AC in the summer either unless it is our day off, we have a mobile unit we use in our bedroom because we work nights, sleep all day, so why crank the AC when no one is in the house?

I don't use anything for heat in these hot months, but I keep a close eye on my temps. It usually stays around 85° but the cool side can warm up too. I will wrap ice packs in towels and put them under the substrate on the cool sides, the snakes mostly stay in the middle during the summer so I sort of rearranged the hides to ensure they felt safe. I also drop an icecube in the water bowl if it is incredibly hot.

I don't use anything for heat in these hot months, but I keep a close eye on my temps. It usually stays around 85° but the cool side can warm up too. I will wrap ice packs in towels and put them under the substrate on the cool sides, the snakes mostly stay in the middle during the summer so I sort of rearranged the hides to ensure they felt safe. I also drop an icecube in the water bowl if it is incredibly hot.

Perfect, thanks. I leave the house at 80 all summer since I have cats and won't subject them to higher temps than I'm willing to deal with, and over 80 is just too warm in the house for me.

I'll try the ice packs once everything heats up. I have the baby in a 20 gallon, so I have a variety of 6 little cardboard hides in there with plenty of fake plants to help her feel safe.

Back