• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie from sunny South Africa

LeonJS

Hello every body!
So on Sunday I got my very first corn snake. Have been trying to convince the wife for many years now. I have also been reading quite a lot on this forum in the last two days.

A little about myself:
As mentioned in the title, from South Africa.
White male, father of 2 boys.
English is my second language, so I might mess up a word or some grammer at times. (I will be using the spell check)

I personally never owned a snake before (had various spiders and scorpions before), but a couple of my friends do own snakes for some years now and I have always been very interested in the behaviour traits and feeding habits etc. So whilst a newbie at owning, I'm not a newbie to snakes. Love them.

Useless info:
The snake market in South Africa is very small, unfortunately, and things like cages and actually anything related to an exotic pet is either impossible to get here, or VERY expensive.

Nice to meet you all. Looking forward to chatting with you :cheers:

Welcome to the forums. If you've got any questions, try using the search feature first, and if you don't find what you're looking for, feel free to start a new thread and we'll be happy to help you out.

The corn snake you got, care to tell us a bit about it? What morph is it, and about how old is it?

Hi Shade,

I have surely been around the forum to get my questions answered and must say that I got most. Just the judging of the sex appears to be a tricky one. But I'm not hassled by that now.

The corn I have, I don't know the different morphs yet, so I cant really tell you. I'll post a pic of her. Yes, I was told it's a female and approx 9 months old. I guess it to be around 2 - 3 feet in length. Should that be right, more or less?

That sounds about accurate, maybe a bit on the large side. The difference between two feet and three feet is quite a big one though :shrugs:

Anyway, congrats on your first snake. Give it about a week and you'll be wanting more ;)

Yes I know a foot is quite a bit. I have not really taken time to measure it. I'm guessing it being in a moving state. But thanks.
I'll have 10 snakes today, but space is very limited in my house at this point. But when we expand it a little, I'll surely be adding room for the "pets".

Q:
Where can I see the different types of morphs? Pictures will help a lot.

Welcome Leon!!!

Nice to have another South African here! :grin01: I am also from SA!

Congrats on your first snake too! I have two at the moment and getting two or three more in a month or two.

The market is slightly less varied here but not if you know where to look and who to ask!! lol :grin01:

Feel free to message me if you need something in SA, I am sure I will be able to help!!! :santa:

Oh and congrats on convincing the wife! lol I am just getting my Boyfriend used to the idea of having snakes! :grin01:

Oops! Almost forgot to answer your question... :grin01:

What I did was to go to the photo gallery and look at all the pics of other people's corns...Most people say exactly what their corn is and it's a good way to learn the morphs without actually sitting down and memorizing them all! lol

Or you can try here... http://www.cornsnakes.co.nr Another South African's site... :santa:

PS: DYING to see pics of your new girl!!!

Hi Meg,

Thanks, yes indeed great to have some fellow peeps around. I will surely be using this forum to bug you fellow country folk for help. :cheers:
I'm in the Jhb area.

I find it strange that not all men like snakes, but then again, my dad keeps saying that there is something wrong with me :bang:

Let me know when you have the new ones ... I'll probably get another sometime next year. Still have a lot of homework to do around breeding etc.

:-offtopic
The closest pic I could find on www.morphgallery.com is a Hypo (yearling pic is VERY close to mine and seeing that she's almost a year, I take it as a Hypo) :cool:

Could be a hypo Leon, they are one of the slightly more common morphs here...only way to know for sure is to post pics of her though...lol

Where did you get her (breeder, petshop, friend etc)? What was she sold to you as? (if you don't mind me asking...lol)

I know more women that like snakes actually...lol Maybe I just come from an odd family...my dad HATES snakes but is still buying me one for christmas...

Guess it depends on the person... :grin01:

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing pics of her!

PS: hypo corns have reduced/little/no black around their saddle (patterns on their backs)

Here's a pic of my little girl. I had to put a glove on. The petshop I bought it from treated her very badly and she was VERY ticked off about it.

I hadled her for a while (tolerated the 5 bites on the left hand) and last night when I got home I stuck my hand in the cage and she turned to me and she smelled me and I picked her up with no problem or attitude from her.

I just bough it as a corn, no description.

I know a few woman who actually like snakes ... Yes I think it depends on the person ;)

Hope the pic is not too big, took it with my cell

Ummm...I don't know... :)

MOST baby and young corns bite...so it's not to say that she was handled badly or anything, maybe that she hasn't been handled that much in her short life...

I got my first corn from a petshop and he was exactly the same and I know he was never mistreated in anyway...its just the way snakes are...she will get used to you handling her...my boy is big now and super grumpy, doesn't like being handled by anyone but me...lol

Back