• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie Learning the Hard Way

dbntina

First off let me say I love this forum :dancer: and without it my son’s snake and I would be in a bad situation and the worst part is we wouldn’t even know it. We got our snake last Saturday and it is now Thursday and everything is finally the way it needs to be. I am summarizing all the 20+ hours searching I have done on this site to get the answers I needed and figured I would share my journey in hopes it would help others. It has been a lot of information in a short time so please correct my facts if I get it wrong…thanks! The Husbandry and Basic Care FAQ was a great start. :)

1) Buy from a local breeder: I found a website that listed local breeders of cornsnakes and was going to post it but now I can’t find it. Anyway they will help you a lot I imagine and will answer your questions accurately if you find a good one I imagine. That was my first mistake….(daddy please they actually have the striped albino corn snake the one I showed you in the book…they only have one left) :shrugs:

2) I bought the kit….then changed EVERYTHING out because it is not a good setup. I was given a tank with a lid that didn’t fit well. I was given a lamp for the hot side. I was given Eco-Earth and Repti-Bark as a mix and told I only had to change it out every 6-8 months. I was told to keep the temperature strip in the middle at about 85 degrees. I was given a 65 watt blue reptile bulb for the lamp. That only got the strip to 82 so like an idiot I bought the 100 watt and it still didn’t get to 85 but started reading information on here so only had that on for one full day and then worried incessantly that I might have burned my snake or it would die soon (BTW if you have a snow or very light skinned corn you don’t want UV light on it or you could seriously burn it…in fact everything I have read on this forum seems to indicate you don’t need a lamp for the most part if your temps in the house are in normal living range 70’s). :eek:

a) Set your tank up beforehand after doing your research. I recommend the Zilla Critter Cage, the one I bought when I realized ours was a piece of junk! I don’t want to have to worry about an escape!
b) Get an under the tank heater with thermostat ($50-$100 or rheostat control $10 solution)
c) Use Aspen. Freeze it for 24 hours in the refridgerator. For a newbie it is the easiest setup and less chance for complications. RB and EE can cause issues from critters to stuff getting in the snakes nose when he burrows.
d) Limit the handling of your snakes for the first 5 days as much as you can. When I asked I was told handle him as much as you want its no big deal. Would it be easier just to say I don't know? :flames:
e) Consider geting an older snake…hard to do I know…less chance for issues. Ours was 1 ½ to 2 years old and I am glad we did. Easy to find, very resistant to our ignorance and had been feeding well.

3) Attaching the temperature probes to your tank.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87371&highlight=suction+probe&page=2

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81574&highlight=colonel+slithers&page=4

I followed this advice and got the non toxic blue loctite fun tack. After putting it down and pushing aspen on the blue to cover it up before filling the tank I wish know that I had used a glue gun. I am constantly worried he will get stuck to the tack or that he will push hard on it and loosen it from the bottom of the tank. So I will probably change to glue on Saturday. You can also use silicone but you probably need to let the tank air out and I only have one good tank.

4) Under the tank heater. Wrap in aluminum foil and tape to the bottom. Once again I attached straight to the bottom and the next time I go to clean I will have to remove…learning the hard way.

5) Get a temp gun if you can afford it. If my little guy loosens the Repti 500R thermostat then my heater will continue to heat up and my temperature gauge will go up so that can help me recognize the problem. If the temperature probe gets knocked loose and the thermostat stays in place then my temp gauge will read in the 70’s possibly when in actuality it could by 84. If they both get knocked loose I could be in real trouble thinking its 70’s when it could be over 100! Temp gun buys information on if the probes are still in place and peace of mind! ;)

6) Which brings me to another point. It seems that you want your heat side no higher than 87F or so and the cool side low 70’s. However there is some disagreement apparently that the 90F temp issue is an ambient temperature not an UTH issue. Although I keep my thermostat set to around 85 creeps higher and lower to be safe. Some people have been known to keep it as high as 100F on the UTH as long as the ambient temp is 75 or so they will move off…maybe do more research but 85F seems to be the safe choice for UTH. Since I am a newbie 85 on hot side 72-75 on cool side.

7) Cleaning the tank. Options 1 to 10 ratio bleach to water. 50/50 mix water and white vinegar in spray bottle. F10. Soap and water. I used ¼ cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water. I used the vinegar spray I put the wood hides in the oven for 1 hour at 200F after rinsing in the bleach and rinsing well with water. I put them in damp no worries.

8) Thank Goodness for the community and helpfulness of the people on this forum. Here are the pictures of the before setup and the after setup. I am so glad I got an older snake…he is docile, used to handling and feeds well. After handling him way too much for the first 4 days and him not being able to hide on the heat side and him musking the first few days out of anxiety…I still fed him last night in a Tupperware container on the kitchen table with four young kids who can’t keep quiet and he ate…so hopefully after the next 48 hours go by and he doesn’t regurge then I should be out of the woods. Also I read on here it should take about 5 minutes or so to eat the meal otherwise it could be too big. It took him 6 minutes to get it down. Meal no bigger than 1.5 times widest girth of the snake (diameter). Don't handle the snake after eating for at least 24 hours and preferrably 48hours.

9) Here are the pics. The fact that I have been able to learn so much in such a short period of time is a testament to the posters and community on this forum and I am very grateful. I am trying to return the favor to someone in my shoes.

10) I have an IR red bulb 50W pointed at the wall at night to monitor and see gauges at night. Some recommend LED's inside the cage to monitor and they are cool looking also but they give off no heat. You might need some sort of heating for the air if it gets really cold where you live or in the winter.

Thanks again to everyone who has regularly posted on this board. I am sure I have come your posts during my research…too many to thank..you know who you are! :spinner:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 386
  • New1.JPG
    New1.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 385
  • New2.JPG
    New2.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 385
Nobody is perfect, but the important thing is that you are learning!
Beautiful snake and nice set up.
Best of luck with him :)

With aspen do I still need to mist daily? I put some water in the bedding last night and tried to mix it...different from Eco-Earth which is easy to mix. It seems like with aspen the water kind of goes through it to the bottom of the tank.

My snake went right to the very bottom when I put him back after feeding right to the glass under the aspen. I almost wonder if it is good to have something like Eco-Earth slight layer just covering the bottom so he doesn't want to burrow below it and he isn't touching the glass and then the aspen on top?

Thanks

Yay for you in doing our research! Corns are amazingly hardy to mistakes it seems and you've done well!!

A couple comments/modifications for you just to "tweak" your already really good start!!

4) Under the tank heater. Wrap in aluminum foil and tape to the bottom. Once again I attached straight to the bottom and the next time I go to clean I will have to remove…learning the hard way.

No need to remove it... The tinfoil/tape is ussually if you're gonna wanna change it to another viv at a later time, but the setup you've got there should do your boy fine. ALl my three big glass vivs have the UTH's attached directly to the tank. One is taped on with Duct taped cause it was moved a few times and stopped sticking haha.

7) Cleaning the tank. Options 1 to 10 ratio bleach to water. 50/50 mix water and white vinegar in spray bottle. F10. Soap and water. I used ¼ cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water. I used the vinegar spray I put the wood hides in the oven for 1 hour at 200F after rinsing in the bleach and rinsing well with water. I put them in damp no worries.

You don't have to completely clean the tank very often :) Snakes don't poo much, they're pretty clean critters. Spot clean weekly, fluff the aspen when you do. Change the bedding completely every six months or so. Clean hides/tank decor as needed if it gets pooped on. I wipe my fake plants down every once and awhile if they're looking grungy.

Also I read on here it should take about 5 minutes or so to eat the meal otherwise it could be too big. It took him 6 minutes to get it down. Meal no bigger than 1.5 times widest girth of the snake (diameter). Don't handle the snake after eating for at least 24 hours and preferrably 48hours.

You can also check out the Munson plan (do a search on here) that equals prey size to the size of your snake by weight, can be a little easier to figure out.

Other than that well done!! I'm sure your snake will be very happy :) Now, breath, relax, snakes are the easiest critters in the world to care for!

Beautiful snake and great set up. Glad to see a new owner doing their research :D

As for your question about misting, I usually don't because the ambient humidity in our apt. is never bellow 60% at least not now, perhaps in the winter when I turn on the heaters it might get drier, if it does I will mist them from when they are in blue up until they shed. If that makes sense, because added moisture and warm temps can grow mold, which isn't a good thing.

Thanks K. Rene, the humidity seems to be about 60-65% lately so maybe I will wait on misting until I see a possible shed coming on or do the humid hide thing.

This is awesome! I pretty much went through every single one of those hiccups. I guess some newbies just learn from all of the mistakes .. and these guys of course :bowdown: :p

I personally like the pad lock on the cage. Be carefully some of them know how to pick locks tho. lol ok i'm done joking around. It dos look like a nice snake tho

Reading your post just made me so happy to know help is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the detailed guideline, I'm still trying to figure out which tank to get and how to heat it

Good luck!

I really like the Zilla Critter Cage, I got the size 20. I got the Zoomed under the tank heater with thermostat and really like that it has been working for me well.

With aspen do I still need to mist daily? I put some water in the bedding last night and tried to mix it...different from Eco-Earth which is easy to mix. It seems like with aspen the water kind of goes through it to the bottom of the tank.

My snake went right to the very bottom when I put him back after feeding right to the glass under the aspen. I almost wonder if it is good to have something like Eco-Earth slight layer just covering the bottom so he doesn't want to burrow below it and he isn't touching the glass and then the aspen on top?

Thanks

Great post, I'm also a newbie and have been doing tons of research and have found this site extremely useful.

I got really lucky with my first shed and the skin came off perfectly with no added moisture to the viv so you may just want to wait and see how the first shed goes. I actually got really lucky as I fed my pet then left her alone for 3 or 4 days over Christmas. When I went to hold her again, she had already shed I hadn't even noticed she was getting ready. The shed was one beautiful complete piece.

One thing I have seen a lot is the suggestion of added a shed box with moist moss in it that your snake can go in when he is getting ready to shed. I have seen this on several posts, so I'm guessing its a popular opinion.

Must admit, I prefer using a humid hide to misting when coming up to a shed that I suspect might be a problem (I don't normally do anything and sheds are fine). With a humid hide, the snake can get choose to use the damp environment or not. With tank misting, it's kind of stuck being damp whether it needs it or not.

Yes, I would only add a humid hide when you notice the snake in blue. I had one for my corn when I was a newbie and left it in there all of the time and it became her favorite hide! Then one day I found a small amount of scale rot!!! I was like OMG! Found out it was too much humidity and bacteria/fungus was able to grow too much and gave her scale rot. So I took it out and once that healed I haven't put a humid hide in again and she hasn't had a problem shedding since.

Great post!

I am glad you did the research and got hints straightened out.

Sounds like you are good on food size. 6 minutes is a good time, but I always just make sure that the prey looks about 1.5 times the fattest part of the snake. When they are no longer struggling to get the mouse down, I move them up to the next size- because that usually means that the mouse is about the size of their head and the mouse should be bigger than their head.

Personally I wouldn't worry about humidity unless your snake has a bad shed. Luckily I've only had a couple of bad sheds, and both just took a damp cloth to help them out of the rest of their skin. I have a humidity gauge, and it is always around 60. I live in Utah, FYI. Your climate will vary :)

I've told people to get adult snakes, and I've gotten yelled at for it. People have told me that adults are just as tricky as babies. I only have 9 snakes, but I've found adults to be a lot easier to care for. (less eating issues, more established, less sudden deaths, less escapes, more laid back and easier to hold).
Again, your experience may vary.

Thanks for the post!

I like neonates and adults more than hatchlings. I'm afraid of dropping them. I started the hobby in 2009 and am still learning all the nuances involved. The main thing is too give them as little stress as possible. I found that getting more snakes helps to not fixate on one.

how long does it normally take for them to finish a shed? An hour a day a few days?

After they come out of blue, they will shed within a few days usually.
The actual shedding I have never witnessed from beginning to end, but I think it is a fast process- maybe an hour on the long side?? Seems like it might only take a few minutes.

Back