• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie questions

spartan0823

OK, so I've been doing my research before getting a corn snake as a pet. I bought two books, including Kathy Love's book, which was extremely helpful. But I still have a few questions.

1)What would be better, buying a hatchling or an older snake?

2)Where is the best place to buy? Pet store, reptile show, or should I pay the extra money and have it shipped from a reputable breeder?

3)I live in a cold climate (Michigan), and I'm planning on using an UTH, do I also need a heat lamp to raise the overall ambient air temp? (was told this by a pet store employee, didn't sound right to me)

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I know everything I can get the corn. And I'm still trying to convince my mom.

Well no expert here but my opinion.
1) I would say either as long as it's a health snake, eats well....
2) This is a bit of a loaded question. Pet store?? Do they have good reptile knowledge, since there local maybe you know some people who have dealt with them before??
Reptile show?? Is it someone reputable at the show or just someone who doesn't care and is just dumping there possible problems to make a few dollars, do you even know anything about them or just Joe blow??
Shipped from a reputable dealer is someone who is probable very concerned about there reputation? SO all can be good if they are knowledgeable and reputable. See loaded question.. I personal have purchased from a local reptile dealer who I "TRUST"
3) I live in Canada and it's pretty cold here but we keep it warm for ourselves. I would guess monitor the temps. in cool side and that would give you a good idea what you need. I only use UTH now.

Like I said I am no expert but this is what works for me...

I would reccommend setting up your tank with a uth first, dial that in with a thermostat for the hot side, then let it sit for a day or two, then check the cool side, if it needs to be warmer, then you can look at warming it up, chances are though that you shouldn't need to. I haven't used a lamp for my corns.

As a source, I would check a local reptile show first. Definitely avoid buying from a pet shop.
For just one corn its not really economical to ship a corn snake from a breeder, but if there is a specific exotic morph you want that might be the only option.

If shipping one, I would wait until it warms up a bit.

I don't think the morph I want (blizzard) is that "exotic", but truth be told I've only seen one and that's the one my friend owns. I went to the only reptile show nearby that I know of (Taylor,MI) and it was a little underwhelming. Not many vendors. And ruling out pet shops, it looks like I might have to go with a breeder, right?

Back