• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

[Newbie] What morph is this?

testdasi

Hi guys,
I'm new to snakes and just got my first corn. I checked out pictures online and think this is a normal motley morph but not even 10% sure. So what morph is this?
TN290022.jpg

Looking like a nice motley pattern there :) Does he/she have belly checkers? motleys don't have those.
Is the colour right in the pic? I'm thinking normal, but leaning towards caramel. Still, seems to be a bit too much reddish for caramel. Maybe those who have more experience in the caramel colours can correct me on this.

normal motley...

caramel motley is my guess. also...i like the q-tips . it does seem a bit dark for a normal. is the belly clear of checkers? what color are the eyes?

Last edited:
Looking like a nice motley pattern there :) Does he/she have belly checkers? motleys don't have those.
Is the colour right in the pic? I'm thinking normal, but leaning towards caramel. Still, seems to be a bit too much reddish for caramel. Maybe those who have more experience in the caramel colours can correct me on this.

caramel motley is my guess. also...i like the q-tips . it does seem a bit dark for a normal. is the belly clear of checkers? what color are the eyes?

Looks like a lovely normal motley! Nice find!

Thanks, guys. Eye color is dark brown with black pupil. No checker marks on belly. Maybe his color will be clearer when he's a bit older. Only about 6 months old.

might i add that I am in no way,shape,form, or fashion...an expert on color morphs in cornsnakes...I'm just 1yr in the whole cornsnake thing....just seemed too dark for a normal....but then...normal's vary so much...then throw in the motley trait...and who knows?? LOL....i'd go with susan's opinion...she's got tons more experience than me..i'm sure! :)

q-tip motley for sure, what a pretty little one, I'm a sucker for motley patterns. Hard to tell from the pic exactly what you got but I would guess normal mot, until we see more pics :D

My first thought. Normal motley. Motley often lightens the normal color to a yellowish orange. I agree with susan.

What seems to be confusing people is the overall color scheme of the photo. Your eyes are not seeing any contrasting colors and are blending everything together, so to speak. There is a reason Brent's (Drizzt80) blue bowl is a great way to photograph snakes. Your eye can distinctly see the difference in the color of the snake versus the background. Natural browns and greens, especially both together, also give your eye a different color scheme to contrast with the snake.

Caramel motley hatchlings do have a dark pattern, but it's the ground color that mostly indicates this snake to be a normal and not a caramel. Caramel motleys have a light ground color that gets more yellow with age. The yellow can be a goldenrod-type shade, but it will never be orange as is apparent on this snake, especially on the neck.

Here is another pic, hope it helps clarify thing.
The color of the shaving is pretty close to what I see so I think I get the white balance right. I don't think it's anything exotic though because I didn't spend too much.

My corn snake by Tùng béo, on Flickr

Normal motley. A stunner for sure! I have normal mot boy that looked so strange as a hatchling but turned into a gorgeous yellow/orange color.

I have to agree with normal motley. And super cute too! I've always loved the colors of normals, and the added aesthetic benefit of being a motley makes your snake lovely!

Back