• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie who is Cornless *sigh*

Dusty73085

Cornless
Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for the past week or so and I have already learned so much!

As the title says, I am currently cornless, but I am hoping that will change in a few years. I currently live with my parents (low paying career = living at home :( ) and sadly, that means I have to live by their rules. I mentioned snakes yesterday and got "the second you walk in here with a snake, your stuff will be on the curb!"

So, that means I will be living vicariously through you all until I am able to afford my own place. I was just going to remain a lurker until that time came, but I would like to participate and ask questions until then. Most likely I will just be a "sit back and watch" type of member, but I figured I could at least introduce myself for those times when I do post.

Even tho I dont own (and have never owned) a snake before, I have found myself drawn to them. I was at a party once where I found out the owner of the house had a ball python. I ended up sitting and playing with her while I watched everyone else play beer pong. lol

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing I can't own a snake now. I can hardly choose which morph I like best. They are all so gorgeous, I would probably go out and get one of each so I didn't have to choose!

So, I will see you all around the board!

O, and I also have to say how many of you are such fantastic photographers! I may be randomly asking some of you permission to use your photography as references for some artwork. :)

Hi Dusty, welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around, you don't have to own a corn to hang out here! So sorry you can't have one now, but by the time you can you will know a ton more than most first time owners do. And choosing a morph is HARD!! That is why I have so many! I lost count at 40.. :)

Hi Dusty! Welcome! And congrats for not trying to "sneak" things around your parents and landlords! You could offer to volunteer with your local reptile rescues for some more hands on experience and learning ablity, plus get to play with marvolous reptiles!

That is why I have so many! I lost count at 40.. :)

I go with 40ish. The ish covers a lot after all.

Welcome! You have time to work on your parents to try to convince them that corn snakes are wonderful pets. There are many threads containing multiple ideas on how to convince the reluctant parent(s) to allow a snake into their home. First and foremost, they will need to be "educated" to remove the fear factor associated with snakes. Invite them to browse this forum with you, show them all the various colors and patterns that corn snakes come in (who can be afraid of a pink snake!), take them to a local reptile show or herp meeting, etc. Ask them why they won't allow a snake in their house, and then politely counter their reasons with facts and other bits of information.

Susan has great advice.
Exposing people to snakes, such as at a reptile show, is a great way to destroy their fear.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate it!

Tara - Thats a great suggestion. I started looking around for some local rescues, and hopefully I can find one near enough for me to volunteer at!

Susan - Thank you for the advise. That was exactly what I did to convince them to allow me to get a parrot (which eventually turned into 2 LOL! ) I will give that a try and see what happens. :)

I have been looking around for reptile shows in So Cal but the only one I am finding any info on is the big San Diego one in June. So, I have some time to soften them up before they have to get face to face. lol

Dusty, you should check out www.iherp.com. youll be blown away by all of the pictures/species/morphs/and great info you can find in the answers section. Even though you dont own any herps right now, its a great place to learn about, observe, and browse all of the magnificent creatures on there. also take advantage of the chat room here, youll learn a lot and there are a lot of nice people here to chat with. have fun ! =]

I had a hard time with the parents as well. Well really just my mom because what she says goes lol(even tho my dad HATES them) but after 6 or so weeks just joking around about to get them to think about it some I got serious. I now have Penny(escaped but im still hoping)and Sheldon. I wish you the best of luck with your parents and Welcome to the forums! Nitelion.

I had a hard time with the parents as well. Well really just my mom because what she says goes lol(even tho my dad HATES them) but after 6 or so weeks just joking around about to get them to think about it some I got serious. I now have Penny(escaped but im still hoping)and Sheldon. I wish you the best of luck with your parents and Welcome to the forums! Nitelion.

I'm sorry Penny ran away. Maybe if you had a Lenard instead of a Sheldon. LOL! I love that show!

I'm going to start planning my brain washing and we shall see how it goes. :)

I checked it out, but I havent actually joined. Figured it would be kinda weird since I didnt have any type of reptile yet.

I checked it out, but I havent actually joined. Figured it would be kinda weird since I didnt have any type of reptile yet.

thats okay that you dont have reptiles yet! it would give you a chance to ask any questions you may have before taking on such a hobby-pet. Also its always fun to flip through the animals on there just to see them. you should join! if you do you can add me to your favorites list if you like =]

I know this is an old post but I figured I would resurrect it instead of starting over, as the story is basically the same.

Still cornless, still live with the parents therefor it's still not a possibility and I still want one. lol! My attempt at convincing them snakes aren't at all creepy, scary or slimy failed miserably but that has not changed my desire to someday own one.

Once I realized my desire would not be satisfied anytime soon, I decided to take a break from the forum (it's hard to see all of the gorgeous pictures posted and all the new babies coming home when you can't do the same) but now I'm back again. It's hard to stay away for too long. It seems a lot of exciting things are happening in the corn world this season that I am interesting in following, so when I finally do join in, at least I know what's going on.

So, hello again, I'm happy to be back! :)

Welcome Back lol, I know its hard not having them but I promise it will be worth it! I rushed in to it when I was allowed and I have a horrible track record!! 2 escapes and a death!!!!

This forum alone helped way more than just googling did, It contains all that info I learned in 1 place and not all spread out!

I would suggest to just keep working with them, But dont be so bad you come off as annoying or it wont help at all!! lol.

Back