• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie with question!

nytesong

Hail & Well Met!
I am new to the forum and have only had my normal corn snake for a little over a year, but I am hooked for sure and I need to know how to sex my little snake. I read in a manual that you can sex snakes by the look of the tail from the vent to the tip but I am having a bit of trouble with this method. My snakes tail is very thin from the vent to the tip, so I have assumed she is a she; however we all know that when we take apart the word "assume" what happens, so I didn't want to get her a mate only to find I'd found her or him the wrong one. Is this method reliable? I really don't want to stick something sharp up her/his vent and I don't want to end up with 4 snakes trying to find the right mate for it, sooo...if anyone can help me here, I would so much appreciate it!
Thanks tons!
Helaine :eek1:

There are only 4 methods to sex a snake. The first can be done when the snake is still small and is called "popping". That is when you try to "pop" the hemipenes out on a male. It is 100% guaranteed on males but you can't be sure a female isn't a male that just didn't "pop". The second method is for snakes that are a bit older/larger and it is probing. If done by an experienced person, it is safe. However, beginners run the risk of possibly causing damage. This method is 99% accurate, but mistakes happen and oddballs do exist. The third method is by looking at the tail, like you have done. It can be done at any age with male tails that taper very gradually after the vent and female tails that become thin right after the vent. This method is also not guaranteed. The fourth method is to wait until breeding season and let the snakes figure it out for you. That is 100% guaranteed and has proven all the other methods as not being 100% guaranteed in all cases. I would recommend that you find an experienced breeder or vet that can probe your snake.

this #5 methos is not 100% and is not used by most breeders today. the problem lies when the scale count gets to close to the border it could go either way. also with all the line breeding and hybrids out their it throws a wrench in the mix as far as scale counts go. p.s.im pro hybrid but their is hybrid blood out their)
adam jeffery

Yeah but if we are counting tail shape as a method that isn't 100% either and neither is popping (at least with the females). I believe the only method that is truly 100% guaranteed is observing your corns breeding, what Susan said. I only mentioned the scale count to add some info to this thread.

newbie with question

Hi and thanks to all who have so kindly responded. You have given me much to think about and I do agree that the most positive and proven method would be to have a pair mate. However, that being said, I would like to own only one proven pair of mating snakes and not 5 or 10 after having failed at providing my little snake with a mate that tickles her/his fancy, lol! I find the scale method interesting too, btw and I understand that you were trying to show just another method to this sexing thing. Ok, so another question for you experienced breeders out there....do you see anything in your snakes that make you think they are male or female just by behavior? I know that this is a weird question, but I have found that with other animals, even though you can see what sex they are right away, there are certain characteristics they have even if you couldn't see if they were male or female. Just the way one acts or behaves sometimes have given away the sex of an animal before the sex of it could be seen. I don't know, it's just a feeling I have with this snake. Even though I gave it a "male" name originally, it just never "behaved" like a male would in my estimation. Is that something you all find as well or am I just crazy? lol! Thanks to all again for all your opinions and insights. I really appreciate all your help. It is good to know this community is here when someone is new and not sure how things are supposed to be.
Helaine:rofl:

Back