• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newborn...er...hatched

wii_irish_lad

Okay, so here's the deal. Bahamut (my new baby corn) is now just over 2 weeks old. He hatched in my hands on September 27, and I bought him soon thereafter. I brought him home, and put him in his new home: a 10 gallon glass vivarium with aspen bedding, a stone water bowl (wide but shallow), and a hollow stump for hiding. He has an under-tank heater and a spot lamp so the air stays at around 82 degrees in the day, and 74 at night. He's shed once already, but I've yet to get him to eat anything. I've tried thawed pinkies every way I can think of: putting them in his cage, puttint him in a deli cup alone with one overnight, braining one, scenting one, everything. Should I try catching a lizard or something? Or perhaps I should just wait a little while before I feed him again? I'm not sure and I really don't want him to die. Any and all advice welcome!

PS: My name is Jason.

Give him time between attempts. 5 Days beteen attempts. Zero handling, Make sure that there is always a cold spot that is 75F or less and that there is always a hotspot that is between 85 and 90F. Try again with a live pinkie, try dangling it by the tail above the snake's head and touching him so he notices then waiting for him to strike. If after a couple minutes he doesn't then just leave him with the live pinkie for the night. Remember that feeding time should be right about the time you turnout the lights. Make sure he's in a low-traffic area.

How are you measuring the temps? If you are using a stick on thermometer, you are not getting an accurate reading. Invest in a digital thermometer with a probe, and place the probe directly on the glass above the UTH. You may find that your temps are higher than you think.

I'd advise you to give him a few more places to hide, too. They need at least two, one on the warm side and one on the cool side. You do have a warm and a cool side, don't you?

As for the feeding, search these forums and read old threads. There are plenty of tips here to get non feeders to eat.

I keep my hatchlings in small containers until they are established feeding. Too large an area can intimidate them. I keep them on paper substrate and feed right in the container so that I don't have to scare them by moving them around. You can try washing the pinky and scenting with a lizard. That's worked well with a couple of non-feeders I had. Putting the whole container in a dark box with the pinky overnight works for some also.

Back