• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

newspaper substrate?

lolli

Lauryn
Hi :wavey: I'm new here and to cornsnakes. I'm hoping to buy a corn snake with money i get a christmas and have started my research recently so as to be prepared and get a home set up and running in advance if his/her arrival. My question was, i've read that newspaper makes a cheap alternative as substrate and also makes spot cleaning easier for a first-time keeper but i'm concerned about the ink and the smell. Is it not damaging to the snake?
Any help much appreciated :)

Thanks for your speedy response, was pretty sure it would be as i've seen it advised as a substrate but i just like to double check. Always want what's best for my animals.

I use newspaper all of the time in my vivs. I've noticed that particularily in the winter when the humidity is low here, my corns can be a bit dry at shedding time. I just make sure to use moist hides when they're ready and that seems to work fine.
Cheers :cheers:

Newspaper is arguably one of the best substrates - it's just not that attractive, which I guess is why you don't see it being used very often :)

Just as a sidenote, though you've probably already seen it posted somewhere, whatever you use, if it's possible to 'burrow' underneath it, check that it isn't too hot.

I hope all goes well in the search for your new pet!

Keep in mind, female corns prefer the Arts and Living section as opposed to the Sports page.:sidestep:

White Paper Towels

I buy them by the bale-8 to 12 roll packs. They are absorbent, cheap, don't transfer ink, and double for wiping out the cage.

Back