• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Nightmare finally had a fuzzy!

ArvadaLanee

Holy crap! As a first time snake owner, I was a little freaked out when I saw how much bigger a fuzzy is, compared to a pinky. I have begun to think of it, as "New Mom Syndrome," the way I worry about our little Nightmare. I was all worried he would get the fuzzy stuck halfway down his throat, and not be able to swallow it completely, and then I wouldn't know how to help. We even felt the frozen fuzzies through the bags, and chose the smallest one we could find. It did take him a bit longer to get the fuzzy down, but once he did, I realized that I was probably being silly. He looked perfectly happy, and comfortable, and not too stretched out. He did the big snake yawn, which was freakin' adorable. He even let me move him from his feeding container to his viv, by hand, which I don't normally do. I usually turn his critter keeper sideways, and put it in the viv, and let him crawl out himself. He just seemed so calm today, I felt that he was okay with it. I believe he was, however, I let my hand linger in the viv, in hopes he would voluntarily crawl over it again, and he almost did, but I made the mistake of moving a finger to touch him, and he got mad at me. Well, not mad, but maybe...threatened, which made me feel bad. He was there one second, all cute, sniffing at me with his little tongue, and then SWOOP, away he went. I shouldn't have been messing with him after such a big meal, anyway, but I can't help myself sometimes. He is just so beautiful. I cannot believe how big he is getting. Soon I will be cleaning out his 55 gallon, and starting to put together all the fun new decorations. I have a feeling he is going to really take off on a growth spurt here. I really think he will have no problem digesting his first fuzzy.

Totally went through the same some months ago. Fuzzies look very very big, but after some feedings they start looking more OKish. Nightmare will definitely go through a growth spurt. They start growing so quickly when upgraded to a richer meal.
Soon your cute little baby won't be that little any more :p

I just went through this on Sunday!
Lol it's funny how much we care about them that we're worried moving up just ONE size is CRAZY :p
I agree, the fuzzy just looks so huge compared to the little newborn pinks.
But Tom Riddle swallowed his easy and he was one happy, lumpy snake. I was a little nervous and I couldn't help staring at him the whole time to make sure he got it down okay lol

Congrats.

Dolly is about ready to move on to fuzzies, feeding after next. He's been on big pinkies. I too am a little nervous about it. I already have the fuzzies and some are barely larger than the largest pinks, but I'm still a bit worried.

I thought it was just me, lol. Glad I'm not alone.

I have been watching Nightmare for any signs of trouble, but so far, all is well. I'm looking forward to watching him really start to grow. He is such a pretty snake. :)

I have been watching Nightmare for any signs of trouble, but so far, all is well. I'm looking forward to watching him really start to grow. He is such a pretty snake. :)

When I read this I can tell how much you love him. It is fun to follow Nightmare's progress with you. Thanks for sharing him. He really is pretty and a great little snake.

I know there've been a couple of times I've been pretty nervous about the size of what I was feeding. When you've never done it before, it's hard to know if you're doing the right thing. So far there have been no problems, but I definitely know how you felt!

I only gave Oberon 3 small fuzzies before his weight bumped up to the next rung!! I'm still making him eat the remainder of the 6-pack I bought.

They grow sooo fast :*(

I've raised one snake up through pinkies through to adult mice, and I STILL get nervous every time I move my current babies up a size, lol. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where I'm not at least a little nervous about moving up a size in food. I'm just so paranoid about regurges. I'll often slit the first mouse of the new size when I offer it, just to be on the safe side. Knock on wood, no regurges yet!

I've read were corn snakes actually are better at stretching out there stomachs better then ball pythons.. So they can take down some good sizeable prey.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Last night, I was feeding Oberon his last "small" fuzzy from the 6-pack I bought. It was so much bigger than the other 5. It was 9.5g!! Since it was wider than the others, I was nervous about him getting the whole thing down.

Even though Oberon weighed in at 43g pre-feeding, I still didn't want to push him to fit the whole thing down. To make it easier to swallow, the fuzzy got his front little limbs snipped off. That seemed to make it much easier to get down. I felt so relieved. Now, I'm confident that next time I feed him he'll be able to take a normal 8-9g fuzzy without the alterations.

I am as concerned with Drake as you were.

The pinkies was looking pretty small and easy to swallow so I upgraded his food size and I'm reeeeeally worried when I start to give these giants fuzzies lol...

Do you have a picture of your Nightmare at his current age, just to give me an ideia if Drake will be ok trying to swallow it?

Thanks!

Yeah go Nightmare 😉 ,Its such a worry isn't it xxx Theo had 4 now but tbh they are not that much bigger than pinkies so just doing it very gradually for his weight he should be on medium fuzziness but after his early regurge we are moving very slowly .So happy for you ,how are the things with the kiddies handling him ? Have you joined bite club yet ? Or poo club? I'm scared to speak to soon no bite club for us YET but Theo did leave a nice big poo across Jordan's bed which I keep nagging him about!!!!! He has his own play mat lol!!!!! Congratulations on your next step ,fab feeling x

Yeah go Nightmare 😉 ,Its such a worry isn't it xxx Theo had 4 now but tbh they are not that much bigger than pinkies so just doing it very gradually for his weight he should be on medium fuzziness but after his early regurge we are moving very slowly .So happy for you ,how are the things with the kiddies handling him ? Have you joined bite club yet ? Or poo club? I'm scared to speak to soon no bite club for us YET but Theo did leave a nice big poo across Jordan's bed which I keep nagging him about!!!!! He has his own play mat lol!!!!! Congratulations on your next step ,fab feeling x

Thanks! I did get bit once, but I think we have that under control now. Nightmare had a bit of cage aggression, and he doesn't like being dug out of his hides. He has never pooped on anyone or outside of his viv yet. I have taken to having the boys hold him over his critter keeper, so if he were to squiggle out, he would still not get away. We still need to handle him more. I have been so busy with my hospice volunteering, time just gets away from me. We are getting better, slowly. I'm happy he is doing well with his fuzzies. They don't have sizes here, but Nightmare doesn't seem to have any issues, so I think that's good. Glad your Theo is doing so well! Keep up the good work!

Back