• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

No longer likes mice?

doortech9

Access Systems Technician
My local petstore was out of mice for almost a month, and with my kids going on 2 weeks with no mice i had to do something.

I bought a pair of dwarf hamsters of suitable size and offered them to both sniper and peaches. They took them well and didn't complain. Yesterday however i attained some mice from out of town, and when i tried to feed, sniper took his mouse no problem but peaches turned her nose up! I tried slitting, braining, and heating the mishka up but to no avail, it didn't suit her taste.

I will try again in a week, but seeing as she has NeveR refused a meal in her time with me im starting to think that she has lost interest in mice. Has anyone a similar story? What to do!

If she has acquired a taste for dwarf hamsters then next time she refuses a meal try to scent the mouse with dwarf hamster. See if you can ween her off of the dwarfs and back onto mice. I am sure that many more experienced members might have better options so read what others have to say as well. And good luck!

It's a known problem, unfortunately. If they get a taste for hamster (which must be the Corn equivalent of caviar!), they can sometimes decide that nothing less will do.

Scenting is certainly a good first step. If she's big enough to handle two at a time, maybe you could try offering a dwarf hamster and a small scented mouse, at the same time. You might be able to fool her into taking the mouse, and if she takes that then you could try a scented mouse on its own the next time.

Thanks you two! I'll try scenting first i suppose.... What i really should have done a long time ago is buy bulk online, then this problem wouldn't have occurred. Caviar of the corn snake world... :)

Back