• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

No Poop / New Substrate / Winter

Karoni

Cornaholic
As they've gotten older, my guys take longer to digest their meals and defecate, which I believe is normal. I normally see poop about a week after a meal, but occasionally it happens a bit sooner or later. It's been one week and five days since they've eaten and neither has pooped. Normally, I wouldn't worry, but this is the first winter using my new substrate, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

I used to use newspaper, so when the temps were 85, you knew the snakes were feeling around 85. But now that I use Sani Chips (aspen chips), I'm not so sure. I have 2-3 inches of substrate in there. I'm starting to worry that the snakes aren't getting enough warmth to digest property. The ambient room temperature varies from 68-72, roughly. They rarely burrow in the chips; they are usually on the surface.

I use Herpstats, so the temps are perfect.

Do you think I should be concerned? Should I take out an inch or so of substrate during the winter months to make sure they are warm enough?

Thanks.

How old are the snakes? It's hard to find scat sometimes, especially if they burrowed before defecating. I usually like to add substrate during the winter so that they can burrow underground and have an insulating layer holding the heat in. Mine don't usually use it either.

If the temperatures are fine I don't think you have that much to worry about. It may just be that they are semi hibernating and thus slowing down?

They can burrow down to where they need to be, if they want to. They usually don't poop till they are out and active, so if they are just relaxing, digesting, or if they have gone blue, they aren't going to poop.

Thanks, Nanci! Tonight is feeding night and still no poop. I won't worry about it, then.

Back