• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Noobt Genetics Question!

Dr. Zoidburg

What morph could I pair with my female Abbott Okeetee to produce a visual morph in the offspring? Or do you know of any cool projects already done with Abbott Okeetee corns?

Thanks,
Dennis

Abbott's Okeetees are line bred normals. Some people are working with hypo okeetees (frankly, I don't see the point but to each their own) and I think the sunkissed morph first appeared in okeetee stock.

For the most part, however, outcrossing to other morphs is only going to produce middle of the road snakes in either direction. So.... there's probably not anything you can pair with your okeetee that won't give you normals of varying okeetee-like appearances. Better to get another okeetee if you really want to breed her.

I was afraid that was the case. So you're recommending to breed to another Abbot Okeetee in hopes of getting very nice Abbott Okeetee offspring? Or to hope against the odds and get a sunkissed?

It is in the hope of nice abbott offspring (do note that they have a tendency to be "ugly ducklings" as hatchlings). Sunkissed was a likely once-off mutation. The odds of it spontaneously appearing again are probably quite low.

I know that Rob Stevens is producing Butter Okeetee's. Also, there are albino okeetee's (a.k.a. reverse okeetee's).

ROs are line bred amels, and don't have much, if any, actual okeetee blood, I think I recall reading. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I think now many people refer to Okeetee more as a look rather than actual locality. But I do believe okeetee is used to give thicker borders in the reverse okeetee. I think Rob would be the one to ask in reference to his butter line of okeetee's.

Hopefully, Kathy Love could chime in on this as well. I know she refers to her version as albino okeetee's. I'm sure she uses okeetee's to provide the thickened border.

On Kathy's website she says, "these (albino Okeetee's) are bred to look like the amelanistic 'reverse' of an Okeetee corn, but are not necessarily derived from Okeetee heritage bloodline."

Anyone remember how that butter okeetee was made? :p

And correct me if I'm wrong but an animal with a homozygous genotype for a dominant trait that affects pattern or color would produce offspring with all heterozygous genotypes but they'd all show the phenotype? So if I did find a snake with this genotype I could get morphed babies?

-Dennis

Sadly, aside from Tessera (maybe), there are NO dominant morphs out there. They're all recessive.

Back