• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Normal Amel/Candycane or What?

Robertk

We just came into the possession of a new female cornsnake.She`s definately Amelanistic but is she a candycane or other specific Amel Morph.Any opinions welcome.P.S We`ve mated her with one of our males (normal)last week so are curious for her prospects.

Attachments

• DSCN0745a.jpg
    DSCN0745a.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0746a.jpg
    DSCN0746a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0749a.jpg
    DSCN0749a.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for confirming that folks,i`m not too hot on my morphs yet but i figured she wasn`t just a regular amel.Are candycane`s pretty common?Are they more valuable than regular corns/amels?Are they more useful for breeding any other interesting morphs?

I have an orange female candycane thats almost identicle to yours. She's definitly an orange cc.

I agree bro. Looks like a Candycane to me. Lookin forward to seeing her babies in a few months.Nice photos.

Ok....I just bred my female (pictured as my avitar) who was sold to me as a high white reverse okeetee to my nice orange amel male. I have gotten a lot of compliments on her over the past year as she has grown and MANY people say she looks like a reverse x candy cane mix as well....any guesses from you guys? I have no idea is she is het to anything. Chances are I will get ??? what as offspring? I am still learning genetics.

Amel's works for me....their daddy is about the most laid back nicely colored amel I have seen in person. I refer to him as my dog w/ scales lol. There is a better pic of this high white reverse/candy cane girl on my home page too...taken about 8 months ago or so.

Thanks again guys.Jeff you say the offspring would be normal het amel(assuming they aren`t het for anything else ).In order to get more candycanes would she have to be bred with another candycane or is it a case of breeding her with another amel and hoping some of the offspring look candycane.Is there a difference in just looking candycane and being candycane.I suppose there is if it`s a particular geneotype as oppossed to just a phenotype.Perhaps there` both.Fergen8er mentions that if she`s not candycane she was definately bred as one.

Candycane is a phenotype. The difference between amel/candy is definitely a judgement call. The basic genotype is "homozygous amelanistic," and then candycane is the result of selectively breeding amels for a white (as opposed to orange or yellow) ground color. :)

Thanks Serpwidgets, you`ve cleared that one up for me and quite succinctly too.I`m unsure of the background of the male that`s been used to breed with her so we may get some surprises(assuming she`s gravid) and will at least get normal het amels.It`s only my second time to breed corns so anything will be good news.

Back