• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Normal feeding behaviours?

KevinK

Hi All,

I'm really new at keeping cornsnakes. I bought an anery. male about 1.5months ago and an amel. female about 3 weeks ago.

My question is concerning the feeding behaviour of the female. The first time I fed her, she lunged out of my hand and aggressively attacked the pinkie. She didn't even let go of my hand with her tail, so I let here eat the mouse while I stayed really still.

This week I put her in the feeding box and added a pinkie at the other end. I left her in for about 10 minutes and when I opened the box, she reared back and I think she rattled her tail. I heard a plastic like buzzing, but didnt actually see her move her tail.

Is this stuff normal? Will she settle down? Is there anything I can do to discourage or prevent this behaviour?

Thanks,
Kevin

Congratulations, you have a perfectly normal cornsnake hatchling!

This is a natural self-defense mechanism and generally subsides as the little ones age. In order to reduce (notice I didn't say eliminate) this behavior, ensure that you don't "give in" to the snakes posturing. In other words, don't drop them or draw your hand back.

They will normally become more comfortable around you after 6-12 months of routine handling. Personally, I suggest reduced handling for the first six months. Hatchling corns are fragile, squirmy and generally hard to hold.

CAV,

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured she would eventually settle down, but because her behavior is so much different from the male, I wanted to make sure it was okay.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Yeah, when their that small they have loads of predators in the wild, so they think everything that moves is going to eat them.

So they often rattle and strike to try to frighten and intimidate hungry predators.:)

Back