• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Normal ?

GUS1

Hi all, What would be considered a normal time period between sheds? My corn has shed close to a month ago and now is blue again. I feed him a hopper once 3-4 days. Am I over feeding?
Thanks...

When corns are hatchlings once a month to every two months as they get older the time goes up in between sheds. I am pretty sure my adults do it about every three or four months. The only problem is I do not keep records so I am guessing.

I know shed time varies with age. I'm not quite sure of his exact age because I adopted him from a local kid and he was not a hatchling. I didn't measure him but he has certainly grown a good bit since I started caring for him. I would have to say that he's close to 2ft long and a little larger than a quarter at the thickest point of his body. I just didn't think it would have been this soon since the last one. I try to monitor everything from feeding to sheds etc.. Just to help maintain good health. Once again it would seem that I am probably worrying too much. LOL

My snakes are juveniles. I've had them since they were about 2 ft and now they are 3ft or over. They have always shed about every six weeks. But I think it differs depending on a snake's growth, etc. Based on what you said about feeding a hopper every 3-4 days, I'd say your feedings are too close together. I would think 6-7 days would be the more generally accepted time frame.

I kind of thought so too. I'll have to add couple days between feedings. I though that he would starve being fed one hopper every six days. This is why I joined this site. Lots of great people with tons of experience & advice for someone like myself. I really appreciate all the input..

GUS1 - you said he is about the size of a quarter at his thickest. If he is that thick you may want to feed him a small mouse or even 2 small mice every 6 or 7 days.

I'll step it up from the hoppers to one small mouse every six days and see what happens.
Thanks..

Yeah I feed all my snakes once a week (every 7 days). That is plenty of food. Out in the while it can be a much longer space between meals. A healthy corn can go a few months without food and not starve. So don't worry about your snake being hungry or starving. They work different than mammals.

Back