• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Nosey snakes 😂

Pilarcoder

So I've had my corn now for a little over a month and I've noticed he's the most curious reptile I've ever had. He is always poking his head out and watching us although extremely shy (usually scurries back into the hide if anything gets close to the Viv even slowly). I'm hoping they grow out of this as they get older and realize we bring them to food and just want their love. Even right now my sneaky one is watching. I guess I was just wondering if this was a trait of all corns it's quite funny and very cute.

So I've had my corn now for a little over a month and I've noticed he's the most curious reptile I've ever had. He is always poking his head out and watching us although extremely shy (usually scurries back into the hide if anything gets close to the Viv even slowly). I'm hoping they grow out of this as they get older and realize we bring them to food and just want their love. Even right now my sneaky one is watching. I guess I was just wondering if this was a trait of all corns it's quite funny and very cute.

All corns (all SNAKES, for that matter!) are different but most have traits similar to the ones you describe. They just have different temperaments and personalities. However, as much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I doubt very much that they can "love" us back in the way that we'd be able to understand. While there is a definite connection, differing somewhat from snake-to-snake, and therefore some type of relationship between me and my sneaky ones, I'm not sure just how deep it goes. I really wish there were a way to find out!! That would be really cooll

I do think that our snakey ones get to trust us and are familiar with us. In a way it doesn't matter if my snakes love me the way I love them. My loving them and feeling joy around them is enough. They are so cute and endlessly fascinating.

I agree that the behavior you note seems typical. All of my snakes hide. It is always fun to see them out and about but that mostly occurs when the light is dim, especially at dusk and dawn.

Yeah, I posted something similar a couple of days ago. I've only had my corn snake for about a week now but his confidence has grown so much since then and it's really amusing. On the first two days, I wouldn't ever catch him out of his hides/not buried in substrate, but since I handled him for the first time I think he's realised that there's nobody here that's going to hurt him and now he sits on top of his rocks, etc with confidence. He's always watching me too, which is sooo cute but also a little creepy at the same time! He doesn't tend to slither back in unless I move sharply/stand up suddenly to answer the door or something like that.

The weirdest thing with my corn snake seems to be the fact he LOVES to be handled, whenever I open the lid to the viv I hold my hand out and he slithers right onto it with no problem. From what I've heard this is quite unusual as most would rather run and hide than let you handle them. Funny creatures.

Lucky you lol yeah mine still puts up a fight trying to run away until he's out of the Viv then he calms down, and mine still doesn't really come out during the day much just to be nosey I really only see him out for a bit shortly after lights out and when I wake up earlier than normal for work, or if it's close to feeding days out hunting

My snake, Rufus, perks up when I come into the room. If he's not hiding, he will actually come to the door and crawl right into my hands when I open it.

If I place him on a table or the floor and step away, he will turn and look at me.

If I hand him off to somebody else, he immediately starts squirming and trying to get back to me.

I carry him with me to the Local Pet Stores when buying cage supplies and food, and the folks that work at the stores all know him by name now and they love him. They all want to hold him and play with him when I walk in. But he can tell the difference between them and me, and he definitely prefers me.

I can place him around my neck and he will sit there perfectly calm all day if I was to let him.

He is very calm, friendly, and seems to like coming out of his cage. If he's hiding, I can tap on the cage door a few times and he will stick his head out and look at me.

Snakes are not stupid. They are capable of learning, they have a good sense of smell, taste and eye sight. They know who we are and they get to know us. And just like any other animal, if you are mean and mistreating to a dog or cat they will not like you. Same with a snake.

Rufus knows I am the one that gives him fresh water. He knows what the "Feeding Tongs" are. You can tell how he acts when he sees them. He knows what his Feeding Box is. His whole attitude changes when I place him in the box. He knows I am the one that feeds him weekly. And he knows I am the one that rubs him under his chin, which he seems to love, and will stretch his head out for more if I stop.

Some people think snakes are dumb animals, incapable of learning and only "Tolerant" of handling. Think what you want, but I can tell with Rufus that absolutely none of that is true.

My past iguana and water dragons were the same very smart animals they knew who I was and were always more wary of other people and would jump off other people to get to me even if I wasn't in the room lol, reptiles don't get the credit they deserve but we know :)
I hope to have the same bond with my baby corn once he grows up

Back