• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

not eatting mother

oreo1700

my female okkette mated aroung 40 days ago and ever since she has only accepted ONE mouse. i can see her starting to lose body mass and she still has a while to go before she lays eggs but i dont think she'll eat untill after she does. should i worry?

Normal behavior...

Don't worry. Make sure she has lots of fresh water.
The females often stop feeding (especially younger ones) after they mate. Try offering her a few pinkies or fuzzies instead of a large uncomfortable food item. Her belly is full of eggs with no room for a distended stomach.
I doubt she is losing much mass, but her 'weight' is moving to supply the developing eggs with food.
She is probably pretty unmoving right now. Take her out for some gentle handling to tone up those muscles a bit every once in awhile. Also, be sure to give her a nice, moist hiding place to lay the eggs. She most likely will start using it now.

There are several bedding you can use to put the eggs in once your snake has them, some combine vermiculite with equal parts of water, which will make a similarly appropriate mixture.

Most people also use incubators to assure a relatively even temperature gradients and protects eggs against the nighttime colds.

But as far a not eating I do not think that you have anything to worry about, as Shaky stated females can get this way after mateing.

Average gestation is about 31 - 45 days, so you should be expecting eggs to be laid right about now. After she lays, give her a day or 2 of rest, then offer her a small meal. If she eats it, give her another small meal in 4-5 days. Then you could probably go back to her normal feeding schedule. Wishing you lots of nice healthy fertile eggs!

Mangrove...the vermiculite needs top be equal in weight not volume. I just thought you might need to know that for future reference.

that's cool, someday, (years) when my two females are older, I want to breed them, I dont konw if I;d get a male for that, or just fine someone who wants to breed them. but my oldest one is still only a year and 8 months. my ohter one is only 9 months old. somehtign to look forward to.

the thing is that she doesn't look like she's got eggs. i mean, she is a little fatter but i dont know if it eggs. how can i know for sure, or better? please help as if she does have eggs, she should lay soon!

I told you-
Give her a moist hide to lay in. She will start using it.

Sometimes (especially with younger snakes), they will only have a few or smaller eggs, and you can't tell.

A lot of times you can feel the eggs in her body. Letting her slide thru a piece of slick fabric can sometimes make it easier to feel the lumps. Keep gentle pressure from top to bottom on her as she slides thru. When the eggs are large enough, you can even see them bulging the skin.

i just felt up my female (shes been in and out of her new laying box) and felt something that had to be eggs. they were about 4 very hard and noticeable bumps in the last part of her belly, but the last one seemed smaller than the others. i'm really excided about my first eggs. will keep posted.

The smaller one could be a slug, but you never know. Good luck and hopefully you'll have a few new babies!

Back