• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

not shedding

Leocadia

I recently (about a month ago) got an amel corn who is almost 6 months. The schedule I got from the pet store says that he hasn't shed since November. I've been watching for signs to indicate shedding, but none yet. I'm pretty sure he's grown almost an inch since I got him. Should I be concerned?

Usually snakes that young shed about every month, but obviously yours doesn't feel the need. If it's acting normally and the skin still looks normal I wouldn't worry about it. If it shed before, it will shed again.

Thanks, Meg. I was starting to freak (I'm totally new to the world of corn snakes.) I was also wondering about the way I'm feeding him; one pinky mouse a week. I read not too long ago that you should feed them two pinky mice a week, but I'm not sure if it was a reliable source. Care to help?

I have a snake that last shed in November, who has recently had a big growth spurt, who just went blue this week, finally. I didn't think she was ever going to shed again! Mos of my guys shed about once every month to six weeks, though.

Nanci

It all depends upon your snake. One pinky is sufficient if your snake shows a lump afterward and isn't out looking for food after feeding, or within a day. Most people go to two food items before they transition to the next size up or if they have a really small food item and the next one up is going to be too big.

How can you tell if they're actually looking for food and not just 'doing laps' around the tank. Wishbone usually travels a complete circuit around the tank the day before feeding day, and sometimes afterwards.

That's exactly the kind of behavior I'm talking about. Mine usually hide for 2-3 days to digest after a meal. When they were growing and outgrew the size they were eating, they would stay out after feeding for quite a while, or they would be out cruising the next day with no lump to be seen.

so he's definitely looking for food? the day after feeding, there's a lump if i look hard for it, but it's not evident.

Back