• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not sure about these eggs???

jerrybforl

Hello all! My wild caught black albino corn laid eggs the other day and I didn't realize till yesterday. I've had her for 7 yrs and she hasn't been in contact with another male since I've had her. She laid eggs a few years ago but were all bad. Most of these are like those except for a few. Tell me what you think and the best way to keep them if they look good.

Thanks

JJ

DSCN2662.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN2658.jpg
[/IMG]

They actually look much better than the obvious slugs on the right, but if she hasn't been with a male in 7 years, they can't be fertilised...

See thats the thing. I was told by a vet that they can store sperm for years! Who knows maybe i'll get a male and try to breed her lol...

I know they can store sperm, even in to the next breeding season, but I had never heard "years" as a possibility. Even so, seven seems too long, no?
Breeding her might increase the chance of fertil eggs lol

The three large white eggs appear good, but dehydrated. However, if she has not had contact with a male for 7 years, they are most likely infertile. Is she housed with any other snakes?

One of the cheapest/fastest ways to set them up is thus:

Get a digital probe thermometer at petco ($7)
Get a 6qt sterlite shoebox with lid (often $1 or $1)
Get a bag of organis orchid moss at a garden supply store. Make sure it has no fertilizers in it.

Soak the moss in tepid water, then wring it out until you are only able to get a drop or two out of each handful of moss. Fluff it up and half-fill the plastic bin. Place the eggs gently onto the fluffed moss. Now wring out more moss and put a thin layer of moss over the eggs. Place the probe of the digital thermometer in with the eggs under the moss. Put on the lid. Find the warmest part of your house and place the plastic bin there. Check the thermometer regularly to see if the temps are in the optimal range.

Try to find a place that doesn't get any warmer than 84 or 85 degrees, and no colder than 76 degrees. the top shelf of a closet tends to work well.

What about sphagnum moss? Will that work? I'm all new to this so any info you give is highly appreciated to me!!!

They actually look much better than the obvious slugs on the right, but if she hasn't been with a male in 7 years, they can't be fertilised...

Parthenogenesis.

probably not the case with this snake, but it's not impossible! (not sure if it has ever happened in corns, i'm kind of doubting it, but interesting nonetheless!)

Why not try to hatch them? If they prove out to be infertile, it won't be a huge loss of time or resources. Give it a try, see what happens.

What about sphagnum moss? Will that work? I'm all new to this so any info you give is highly appreciated to me!!!

Yes. Orchid moss is sphagnum moss. Just do NOT use peat moss or sphagnum peat. It's rotted acidic stuff that will do nasty things to your eggs.

I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens! How long does it take for them to hatch? Also for incubation was thinking about using a small 10 gallon tank or plastic tote and filling with just enought water that a submersible heater could be placed. Set it to 82 degrees and see what happens. What do you guys think?

thanks Shiari! I will go and get some tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to get at least one. I think that would be very cool....

If I had a snake that laid unfertilized eggs I would incubate every time. Parthenogenesis is just so cool - it would be worth it if it ever worked out even once!

Hey guys! So I went to a reputable breeder-seller shop in Ft. Lauderdale today. They said the eggs were a little dehydrated but otherwise looked good. They setup a small tub with vermiculite and said keep it moist and warm. I intend on doing so. I also picked up a one and half month old baby boy Motley!!!! :cheers: He is very nice and I'm very excited to have him. Will post pics of him tomorrow.

Eggs have been in their incubator now since Wednesday and are starting to fill back in nicely! They aren't full completely but getting there. I hope that they do hatch. Will be so cool.

Back