• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not sure what to do ( shed then regurge)

MattPreita

MattPreita
OK so I did some research on other posts here at the forum. I though I would ask everyone what they think and if I am doing the right thing. Nix is two and half year old snow about four feet long roughly.

Nix went through her first shed with us. she went blue earlier in the week and then on Saturday the 8th we noticed a mouse tail and two feet in her water dish she had been fed previously 10/28. we figured she either pooped it out or could be a very very late regurge. On Sunday the 9th happens that she picked the dryest week of the year. It was a rough shed she got all of her belly and most of the rest of her body. It came of in large patches for the most part. Monday night we got out the towel and help her along with the rest of the shed.

We waited a an hour or so and fed her. she wolfed down the mouse faster then I had ever seen. Now tonight ( Friday the 14th ) she seems to have regurged the lower half of the mouse. And pooped as well.

So heres my thinking...

A. I fed her to quickly after helping her with the shed
But why wait four days to regurge half the mouse and poop?

B. the temps were not right
they seem to be steady at 84 to 85

C. there is blockage
we only feed her in a separate tank with paper towel as substrate.

D. heck I don't know with the two feet and part of a mouse tail prior to her shed ( it all looked like it had been pooped out rather then regurged but you never know) now after the shed the hind quarters of the mouse looking regurged after four days I am a bit lost could the mice be bad? she only eats white mice for some reason ( I find this ironic her being a white snake)

ill wait the ten days before feeding her again and get some Nutri-bac and was thinking about cutting the mouse's back to aid in digestion....But I am still worried is there anything else I am missing? is this a sign of a bigger problem ?

lost

Matt

well I know I posted last night but early this morning she was out wandering and then stopped she looked at first to be pooping but I realized it was all in reverse she seemed to be regurging again but nothing came out just some fluid.. perhaps its time to see the vet ::sigh::

Matt

I don't know what to say, but you might try contacting Kathy Love. She has an excellent care sheet on regurges.

I don't think a violation of the "10 day rule" is the reason for the regurge. They usually take longer to reappear. Illness related regurges usually happen within just a few hours or the next day. Four or five days is a long time after the meal was consumed to regurge, especially with temps that are as high as yours. My initial impression is that the meals are too big.

What size mice are you feeding and how big is the snake?

well we have been feeding her one large adult mouse every ten days or so. the mice have been always a bit smaller then her widest part. With her last feeding the mouse may have been a little bigger then normal but not anything bigger then 1 1/2 times. Nix is a bigger snake about four feet and about the size of a silver dollar at her widest point. Maybe the last mouse we fed her was to large? I hadn't thought about it ill get some pictures of her today

Be sure to follow the regurge protocol completely.

It is posted on Hurley's newsletter forum. Not only should you give her a rest, but be sure to feed a MUCH SMALLER mouse next time, and cutting the skin is a good idea. Do anything you can to reduce stress as she needs everything positive going for her to boost her system and aid digestion.

I don't usually see the "regurge reflex" with nothing coming out. But when I have, it has not been a good sign. My guess is that the nausea is so bad that they are having "dry heaves", but I don't know if that is true. But it usually means that they aren't over whatever caused it, so be careful to keep meals TINY and stress down for quite a while during recovery.

Good luck!

Kathy-
What size would you suggest? We were told that she is 2 1/2 years old and is about 4 feet. What else can we do for her to help her back on track?

Thank you so much for your responce by the way. It means a lot.

Feed no more than 1/2 the size that was regurged previously, with cuts in the skin. If she regurges again, then go through the protocol again, and use an even smaller mouse. I have given pinkies to 3 ft. snakes, if that was all they could hold down. But you usually don't have to be that extreme. 1/2 the previous size usually works ok if the problem is not severe.

Thanks for all your help! We will deffinately try that when the 10 days of rest is up. Should we cut a regular mouse in half or just get a hopper or fuzzy? I just want to make sure we do it right.
Thanks!

Only the weight / size (and cuts)and surface area compared to mass matter (more area for digestive juices to work on), not whether it started out bigger or not. Do whatever works for you, and what your snake will accept.

Back