• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Now I'm really confused

serpentina

What the deuce???
So, I went to the vet with Pepino for the first time (he's not sick, just wanted physical and fecal done) and I think my Vet is a quack!!! First off, she said corns can eat worms, fish and mice!!!! I thought Garter snakes only ate worms. Was she wrong? Then she said they need UV light 12-14 hrs a day. What???? :shrugs: She also said I could put half the viv in the sun for this....Whoa nelly....it gets better....Lastly she said Aspen was terrible for a substrate. I guess I see her point in saying that it's unsanitary in a sense (you leave urates in the viv) for spot cleaning purposes but, she also said that the Aspen is usually treated and can cause respiratory probs. So, basically everything I've learned here and in books etc. was tossed out the window today by her. Is she right any of what she said. I'd hate to feel I can't trust her or she wasn't educated properly in reptiles. Maybe it was a basic reptile course thing and they really don't know specifics. I keep my high temp at 82-85F and she said that was too low too. What gives? :cry: Anyway the good news is Pepino is healthy and the fecal was neg. for any parasites. Sorry so long. Should I get a new vet???

Get a new vet...
From years of experience, people have wrote the manuals and caresheets. They have documented what has worked, and what hasnt.

Does this vet of yours own snakes? If so... they are in seriously trouble cause shes talking crap.

That's what I thought. Phew...thanks. I'll take him to the Vet I take my dog to (it's a lot closer anyway) I just never knew they did Reptiles too, but I already made this appointment soooooo, let's hope I have better luck there.

Oh wow... that just takes the cake!

That vet needs to be informed that she does not have the proper information for corn snake care, and that she should not be giving out any information on something that she is not 100% on.

Perhaps she should be sent Kathy's Corn Snake Manual, LOL!

Seriously, get another vet.

Was this vet known for treating reptiles?

SilentLore said:
Oh wow... that just takes the cake!

That vet needs to be informed that she does not have the proper information for corn snake care, and that she should not be giving out any information on something that she is not 100% on.

Perhaps she should be sent Kathy's Corn Snake Manual, LOL!

Seriously, get another vet.

Was this vet known for treating reptiles?

I think it's a new place, I noticed it since, it's right next to a pet store I always go in to see the snakes etc. It said Exotic Animal Hospital. I never new my "real" vet did them until I went to get a pill for the dog yesterday. I will change for sure now. The one cool thing was that, there were two girls in the waiting room and noticed Pepino. One said "Hey, is that a corn snake? he's cool." Made my day. They were only like, 9 or 10 too.

First off, she said corns can eat worms, fish and mice!!!!
To this, I would say they probably can but prefer mice. I have a water snake that eats worms sometimes.

Then she said they need UV light 12-14 hrs a day.
Sounds like she has read some general herp care stuff and not specific info to corns or nocturnal snakes.

She also said I could put half the viv in the sun for this....
I have been told that normal glass like that in vivs etc actually filters out UVA and UVB so doing that would not help any even if they did need the UV.

Lastly she said Aspen was terrible for a substrate. I guess I see her point in saying that it's unsanitary in a sense (you leave urates in the viv) for spot cleaning purposes but, she also said that the Aspen is usually treated and can cause respiratory probs.
She is probably mixing up aspen with cedar or pine.

I think you got it right when you said it was some general care class.

Anyway the good news is Pepino is healthy and the fecal was neg. for any parasites.
I think you might want to have that checked again. You sure that vet even knows what a parasite is? LOL

Back