• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

observing while fishing

Tink33

Noob
Here's a few pics of some wild critters that my girlfriend and I observed while fishing today and a few weeks ago, enjoy!

picture.php

cottonmouth
picture.php

another cottonmouth
picture.php

a frog that managed to go undetected by the cottonmouths
picture.php

a skink
picture.php

another skink with a beautiful red neck
picture.php

this one was a surprise, it was so cute, if anybody has an exact identification on this guy let me know, we are assuming its a rat snake but arent too sure.

We hope you enjoy the pics and hopefully we will have more to come!

Tink

Nice finds, bonus while fishing!
The last one is a young Black Racer, still has some pattern on it.
The first two are Northern Watersnakes. Please don't tell people that they're Cottonmouths, that causes a lot of Watersnake "death by shovel".

I was just reading your mothers day thread and I googled nerodia sipedon sipedon, and realized my mistake, I appreciate the correction. Its funny because we were scared to pick them up because we thought they were cottonmouths, but they didnt have the vertical eyes. I figured better safe than sorry and left them alone. they werent shy at all, they were casing the area we were fishing and they stayed pretty close to us. maybe they were hoping for a free meal, lol!

Thanks for ident on the black racer, he was poking his head out of the rocks we were fishing from, it was pretty cool!

Tink

Glad I could ID them.
It's hard to get pics of our racers, that's pretty good. Likewise on taking a photo of the frog from the top.
It's ALWAYS better safe than sorry on snake IDs if you have venomous snakes in your area, good call.
Since you're in VA here's the best herp-site available, and a good group to join. Virginia Herpetological Society

It's a great resource, they have a lot of photos and ID tips pages.
I forgot to ask where you were fishing. I lived in Va Beach for several years when I was in the US Submarine Service.

We were out in Blackwater, by Fentress airfield. theres a bunch of little spots out there and out in Pungo. Pungo is where we took the pics of the water snakes, out in the Back Bay area.The pics of the skinks and black racer were taken out in Blackwater, btw... the VHS website is great, I had no clue we had so many different snakes down here, and we have learned so much. Thanks again!!!

Tink

Back