• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Odd Question

BigByrd47119

Ok so here it goes. Please understand that I am still really new to the Corn Snake field and to snakes in general for that matter. This goes doubly so for breeding!

Has anyone ever heard of or participated in any kind of stud service with corns? I ask purely out of curiosity and because I have never seen it mentioned. I am sure there are a whole host of reasons why it may not be a good idea, the first thing that comes to mind is the by-pass of any quarantine procedure. Then there is the issue with the snake possibly being stressed from the travel, etc, etc.:shrugs:

What would one expect to pay for one visit (speculative)?

Anyways it was just a thought.

Some people do 'breeding loans' and send either males or females to another person temporarily for such purposes. As for a true stud service, most of us live too far apart to make that feasible.

People are working on perfecting artificial insemination in cornsnakes right now, but so far it hasn't been very successful. That would be the first step to shipping semen as is done for several other animals, routinely.

Snakes _do_ go out on breeding loan all the time, and it's usually better if the loaner snakes can arrive before brumation, so they can be quarantined.

Typically, the clutch is split between the two owners in some manner or other. Sometimes an animal may be "paid for" by giving back some of its progeny.

Snakes get shipped across the country, and even around the world, every day. In a typical domestic shipping situation, the snake is dropped off late afternoon/early evening and picked up before noon the next day. If the shipper has packed the snake correctly and comfortably, stress from shipping is minimized.

I have five snakes on breeding loan right now, and another who will be "paid for" with a share of her offspring when she breeds. I recently was allowed to buy a snake that is with me for his second season of a breeding loan, because I've grown so attached to him!

I currently have 3 snakes on breeding loan...2 females and 1 male. It's perfect for introducing new genes into your collection without spending mega bucks on new critters.

Back